Powered by Blogger.

Thanks, Nora





I always felt I should actually know Nora Ephron. I liked the thought we could get together for coffee and talk. I'm not sure what put this thought in my head. She was a wildly successful writer -- journalist, essays and movies -- and for the most part I was a middle-aged civil servant, whose greatest literary output was memos and letters. Through a true fluke of fate my previous job brought me in contact with her second husband, so we had something marginally in common. But more likely it was because she wrote the things I was thinking.

I started to read Nora Ephron's writing in the mid-1970's when she was writing for "Esquire" and followed her through books and movies for almost forty years. I laughed and smiled and shook my head in agreement many, many times. I loved this essay in "The New York Times" and wanted to share it.

Nora, I will miss you. The words were all yours, but the thanks is completely mine. 

12 comments

Mevely317 said...

I really enjoyed this NY Times piece -- especially her advice to "embrace the mess ... rejoice in the complications."

Call it a hunch, but I betcha Nora would've loved sitting and chatting with you over coffee, as well.

Melissa said...

What a loss. :(

Terra said...

I also enjoyed her writing and her joie de vivre, over the years.

Petronela said...

It was lovely to find out some things about this astonishing lady and it;s really beautiful of you to offer her such a touching homage.

Tanna said...

A loss for all of us...

Susie said...

Buttercup, I love this post today. How you were felling , is how I feel when I read some blogs. Some times you just know people who could absolutely be a friend. Hope you are doing well...stay cool. Smiles, Susie

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I read a review about her on Amazon this morning and didn't realize she had written Sleepless in Seattle. That was one of my favorites.

Ms Sparrow said...

Thank you for providing the links to articles about Nora. I always have respected her work but now I truly respect her as a woman.

Kerin said...

So sad.
She certainly contributed a lot to our generation.

Smiles :)
Kerin

Nellie said...

Her creativity will be missed.:(

Jemi Fraser said...

She was a wonderfully talented lady! Lovely tribute.

Hope you are doing well these days!

TARYTERRE said...

Six degrees of seperation. Lovely tribute to a wonderful lady. She will be missed.