Powered by Blogger.

Windfall

How Would You Spend a Windfall? 

These were some of my thoughts as I walked home...

All of the lilacs at the market?

 Some bright and pretty new spring clothes?


Half of an iPad2?

No, I am not one of the major Mega Millions winners. I did win two dollars, but since I contributed four dollars, I actually lost money on the Mega hysteria. I also lost several hours of my life discussing what I would do with tens of millions of dollars.  By Sunday night I had put all thoughts of monetary windfalls out of my mind and once again my focus was on reality. And somewhat amazingly, Monday brought a windfall. 

Sometime at the end of 2010 I filled out paperwork for a class action suit concerning insurance. I sent the paper work off and thought I would get a check very soon after that. I figured -- very mistakenly -- that I would receive hundreds of dollars and would use that for spending money for my trip last winter to Spain. I'm not sure what my logic was, but clearly I was wrong. After I got back from the trip I gave the suit very little thought. Last night I found a check for my part of the settlement, $187.27. 

I'm not quite as giddy as I might be if I was a major winner of the Mega Millions, but I am giddy. I've had a lot of fun thinking about how I will spend my windfall. It won't be a bigger apartment or an endowed scholarship at Dartmouth. Those things will have to wait for my Mega Millions, but I am thinking of an experience that I might not have done, possibly an exercise class that looks interesting and will put me closer to my goal of being more fit. I also will tithe this windfall, just as I had planned to tithe my Mega winnings. I've got a cause in mind and will share it in another post.  

How would you spend $187.27 that arrived as a windfall? Would you be practical and use if for bills or whimsical and buy something that's a treat? Inquiring minds want to know!

13 comments

Barbara F. said...

I would save a little, give some to my church and treat myself to something that I would not have done without this little bit extra, like a facial or massage ! Lots of luck! xo

Mevely317 said...

I love mind-benders like this!

Have to admit, my first instinct would be to throw the $$$ against debt/ Then again, Life's short.

Go out and make a memory! :)

Marie Rayner said...

I'm with Mevely317, make a memory! xxoo

Lorraine said...

How wonderful for you! It seems like a lot of money, but it can disappear quickly. I would put aside 40K for my daughter's education (poof!) and then go pick out my house in Florida. That way I wouldn't have to sell my current home first, and we could move sooner. Had I won the Mega millions, my husband and I had planned to make many donations. I didn't mind throwing away $10.00 on tickets. It was fun to dream for a while.

TARYTERRE said...

I'd tuck it away for a rainy day. You should do whatever makes you happy, though. ENJOY.

Anonymous said...

Well since the IRS is still "reviewing" our adoption credit, thus the inability to pay off the bills that allow me to stay home full time with Rocky I'd pay SOMETHING.

Now if I got the mega millions--Rocky would surely be given a new brother or sister!

Nancy said...

Sad to say, it would go into the bank -- there's really nothing I need right now anyway -- enjoy your windfall, dear. :)

Theresa said...

Spend it on a new Spring outfit:) Who doesn't need something new for Spring? Enjoy your day and go shopping! HUGS!

Shell said...

Create a Memory!......

I once won 60 bucks on a scratch ticket,,,,took my son (then 12 or so)
to a matinee ballet and an early bird dinner on the water.....all for 60 bucks and well spent, we got all dressed up too!

things are things,,,,a memory can last a lifetime!

Hugs!
Shell

Ms Sparrow said...

I think I'd spend it on a big family dinner. I love to cook and entertain, but it's getting too expensive. Or, I might use it to buy gas for a visit to see my sister who lives six hours away. Or... I guess it's just as well I don't have to make that decision!

Susie said...

Do both...spend half and save half. Now girl, you know they could have given more...insurance is way too expensive.:):) Smiles, Susie(she Junks)

Teacherfish said...

Listen- through Groupon I found this great Spanish restaurant in Howard Beach- $187 will buy several pitchers of Sangria and we can think we are in Spain.
Are the carp swimming in the bathtub yet?

Melinda said...

I agree with Susie.

Have some fun with it!

Melinda


I will check out your friend's new blog also.