Powered by Blogger.

I Am Grateful for...

...the Memories of Those We Love

As we grow closer to Thanksgiving and Christmas I remember holidays past and times spent with loved ones who are no longer here with us. I don't want memories of celebrations past to overshadow times present, but there are times that is difficult. I try to focus on the now and enjoy this year as I live it. But still, I am so glad for all I've had and the many people who have meant so much to me through the years.

I am especially thinking of my dear friend Hella, who passed away last week in Sao Paulo Brazil. She was without question one of the kindest, most thoughtful people I've ever known and I am so grateful for the many times we spent together in the last twenty years. I met Hella soon after I joined my synagogue. Our lives couldn't have been more different. I've spent my whole life living in the United States, but Hella had lived all over the world. Born in France and escaping Europe with her family to find refuge in Brazil in 1940, she never let circumstances dictate her attitude. Unfailingly upbeat, she enjoyed life immeasurably. Even in her 80s, with vision problems, she worked full-time. volunteered at the homeless shelter our congregation runs with our sister Methodist Church, took classes, went to concerts, museums and did good deeds daily.

Hella is on the right and our dear friend Tamar is on the left. We had a wonderful lunch last fall celebrating Tamar's 90th birthday and wishing Hella well before her move to Brazil to be closer to family. 

Though I am sad about Hella's passing I am so grateful for knowing her. There will be an empty place in my heart, but I hope to fill it with happy memories and good deeds in her memory.  

12 comments

Judy said...

At this time of year, I seem to get nostalgic too. I miss my friend who died a year ago and my Daddy who died (92) two years ago--we always took Thanksgiving with him and step mom. I don't like change and these kinds of changes upset me for years. I keep trying to be a more positive person--sometimes it is difficult to do. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving and Happy Hanukkah--starts on Dec. 2nd doesn't it? I know it is always near my youngest's birthday, which is on the 3rd.

Carol said...

This is a lovely tribute to your friend. I am sorry for your loss! She sounds like a lovely person!

Thank you for the nice comment and the visit to my blog :)
Happy Thanksgiving!

Sharon said...

This will be our first Thanksgiving without my precious FIL who died this past August. We are starting some new traditions and plan a joyful celebration, but oh how we will miss him.

Happy Thanksgiving, Buttercup!

Pam said...

How nice in remembrance of your dear friend. I'm sorry for your loss.
Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Memories like the ones you have of such a dear sweet lady are worth holding close to your heart and to be thankful for too.

MsGraysea said...

How lovely that you shared your sweet memories of Hella with us. What a wonderful person, and I am certain that the impression and love she imparted in your life is being spread to others.
Happy Thanksgiving.

Country Whispers said...

The holidays can be so bittersweet.
Our family Christmas has always been with close family and friends and within the last several years so many have passed on.
I hold on to the memories to cherish forever while trying to make new memories that my kids will forever cherish.
Hope you have a Happy Thanksgiving!

Chatty Crone said...

I think that is how we do have to look at loss - that we got something so wonderful from them - makes the loss a little better (?) - if that is possible. Sorry for the loss of a good friend.

Sandie♥ HAPPY THANKSGIVING

Sybil said...

Faith Hope, Family Friends, as you have so rightly said in your last few entries we are blessed beyond measure to have all in abundance.
Thank you so much for your friendship over this past year. I do hope that in the next year a visit to the UK will be on your wish list..and that at the end it will have been fullfilled..
Love sybil
HAve a wonderful blessed Thanksgiving.

Grandma Yellow Hair said...

What a beautiful post and tribute to such a lovely lady and friend. So happy I was able to stop by today and read this.
I think of you often and hope you have a very nice Thanksgiving
Love
Maggie

Melinda said...

Being without family or friends at the holidays is rough but we just have to remember the happy times we had with these people and be thankful for their presence in our lives.

Melinda

Mevely317 said...

Now where did this big lump in my throat come from?
(For some reason, I too, have been reflecting on long-ago holidays and loved ones who've made transition.)
I suspect your Hella would love this post! How rich your life, for having known her!