Powered by Blogger.

My New England Birthday


Carol, aka Buttercup

As much as I love living in New York -- and I do -- I'm really a New England girl at heart. I was born and grew up in Connecticut and went to school in New Hampshire and Massachusetts, so I've half of the New England states covered. I have six first cousins and four of them live in New England -- so I get to "go home" a lot. We can spend infinite hours debating where we would buy our fantasy summer home -- when one of us wins lotto. I'm leaning to the Connecticut shore now, and Old Lyme seems to be coming to the top of the list.

This weekend was spent with my first cousin's on my mother's side and their eight children, ages five to seventeen. I had hoped we could all have lunch together to celebrate my birthday, but my great Cousin Rachel decided that time spent at home would be the best and put together a great fun weekend. I shared the celebration with her daughter, Angela, who turned nine on Friday. What a good time the birthday girls and family had together.

Rachel and I spent cousin time together doing a massive grocery shopping at a Super-Walmart. We don't have Walmarts at all in New York City, so this was quite a treat. No photos to show of this adventure, except my cookie-cake.

I spent the afternoon with my sweet cousins making the gift bags and assembling decorations. It was a great afternoon with lots of time to catch up on school, friends and Hilary's -- who will be a senior in high school -- thoughts and plans for college.
Pinata Assembly

Pinata Time

We had a great barbecue, with everyone cooking and then a fun time in downtown Providence. The fun time will be the subject of tomorrow's post. 

Rachel, can't thank you enough for all that you did to make this a special and memorable weekend. Family, you are the best and I am so blessed that you are all my family. 

I am definitely going to spend some time visiting in Blogworld. I've missed you all so much! Wishing you slow, sweet afternoons spent with those you love!  


16 comments

Country Whispers said...

Glad to hear that you had a great birthday weekend and I can't believe that you don't have a Walmart in N.Y.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Happy Birthday! It looks like you did have a wonderful time. I dream about that beach home I'd have if I won the lottery too. The thing is I have to buy a ticket to win.

Anonymous said...

You kill me...we lived in CT when hubby was in the Navy. Got married in Vermont and spent a TON of time in Mass. You get to go to all the places I want to live!

Happy Birthday! So glad I get to live vicariously through you!

Melinda said...

Boy, New York is missing out not having any Wal-Marts! Glad you had THE experience.

Melinda

Unknown said...

G'eve sweet friend ~ So glad you had a lovely time with the family ... the pictures are wonderful. You are picking a beautiful area of CT to dream of settling in ...

Have a beautiful week.
TTFN ~ Hugs of love, Marydon

Chatty Crone said...

As usual - looks like you had a great time. No Wally World - how do you survive? I have about 5 within ten miles. Happy Birthday. sandie

Good to be a Queen said...

I belive you should celebrate your birthday all month long.....And I'm with everyone else, I'd go crazy if I didn't have a Walmart close by..My husband swears the greeters know me by name...

k and c's mom said...

There is just nothing like time with family, is there? That is the best present in the world. Trying to imagine a world without Walmart....OH! New York City: worth the trade off for sure! :)

Bernie said...

Happy to hear you had such a nice birthday. It looked like a lot of fun. Can't beat spending special times with family.....:- Hugs

Jane said...

Looks like a lot of fun - glad you wre able to spend time with family!

Jane

LemonyRenee' said...

A pinata!? I haven't whacked at a pinata since I was 6 . . . bet it would be good for the soul, though. Looks like a wonderful time.

Jemi Fraser said...

What a great celebration - lots of fun! Happy bday again :)

Pam said...

It sounds like a great fun birthday!

Amrita said...

Happy birthday to you

Sybil said...

I am so glad you had such a wonderful birthday time with your cousins etc. We are so fortunate to have a loving thoughtful family...
Have a lovely week dear friend,
Love Sybil xx

Anonymous said...

Hi, Buttercup, and HAPPY BIRTHDAY! There's a present for you on my blog--here: http://debwillbethin.blogspot.com/2010/07/versatile-blogger-award-wahoo.html

If you don't do awards, please do not feel pressure about this one. Just enjoy the fact that you are appreciated.

Deb