Powered by Blogger.

Across the River...


...to Brooklyn 

There are times I think it would be fun to live on an island and then I remember that I do, and have since 1975. We are linked to the rest of the city and New Jersey by bridges and tunnels and sometimes I get an island mentality and hate to leave Manhattan. Of course I do every day and take the subway to my job in Queens, but otherwise it seems "far" and there are times on weekends I don't get more than a mile from my building.  In that mile I can get to Central Park and the Metropolitan Museum, three movie theaters and Lincoln Center, so I am a very fortunate person. But there are so many other treasures in New York City and occasionally I need a gentle nudge to go exploring.

Last week we had a work event at the Brooklyn Museum.  I hadn't been here in several years and what a treat, even if there was lots of work to do. There is a wonderful collection of Egyptian artifacts and great European paintings. I spent a lot of time in the rotunda and was drawn to a group of sculpture. I kept thinking that they looked like works by Rodin and when I got a few minutes to explore and found that they were by Rodin. That discovery made my evening.

A model of the Statue of Liberty in the garden of the Brooklyn Museum

I hope you enjoyed our visit to Brooklyn. We'll definitely be back soon!

9 comments

^..^Corgidogmama said...

We are all living Vicariously through you, you know! Your eyes, stories and pictures are giving us the best tour ever!

Mimi said...

HI!!!
I so love seeing and living through your eyes!!!!Everyone enjoys everyone else's life so much and I am no different, I would love to live in a big BIG city where I could walk anywhere!!! I know it would get old and miss my car, but I love the in the city feel!!!!
I heard today you are going to be in Maryland to meet Sherry and go to that tea!!! How fun and I so want to meet you one day!!!
Hopefully you can make it to PHX or Vegas some time and I could meet you!!!!Vegas is always a fun place to go!!!!
Enjoy the week, hopefully it is getting warm, kinda cool here and it was really unseasonable cold in Orlando last week while I was there!!!!
Have a great one
hugs,
jamie

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Once again I thank you! You do have a lot to see in your part of the world.

Chatty Crone said...

I love the part about how within one mile you have all those wonderful things to see and do. You have learned to love and grow right where you are. And if you want to take side trips - they are there too. Enjoyed Brooklyn.
sandie

West Side of Straight said...

Yes, thank you for the nice tours you're taking us all on! So much to see. Isn't the blogging world great - so many different friends and interests; living differently, yet the same!

Unknown said...

What lovely pictures & writing of Brooklyn. I love Brooklyn, one of our ancestors signed the petition to form the City of Brooklyn ... more news below.
~~~~
This is Marydon ~

G'day, Ladies ...
Sherry will arrive on April 16th so we are planning a luncheon on April 17th in Mt. Airy, MD. After the luncheon (I personally am paying for everyone's lunch) we will come back to my house for a gathering of good times, great chatter & enjoyment. I'd like the gathering of we ladies to be around 12:30PM if it will work for you all. Final details will follow.

I have 2 extra beds & a couch for anyone who needs a stay over ... first come first serve.

We (Mt. Airy) are located just off Rt. 70 half way between Frederick & Baltimore.

I will need to know 2 weeks in advance of your coming for the restaurant reservations I've made. Please let me know ... we are so looking forward to meeting you all.

TTFN ~ Hugs, Marydon

Holly, the Old Western Gal said...

I'd be scairt to even walk on the sidewalk up your way! Those tall buildings have me dizzy!

Sheilagh said...

Hi Buttercup,

Thank you so much for your lovely comment about my little Emily yesterday:o)

Jaffa Cakes are a cross between a cake and a biscuit(cookie) The bottom is a little sponge cake topped with an orange jelly and covered in chocolate. They are gorgeous and a firm favourite over here. I you would like to try one or two or three...lol send me your address and I'll send you some:o)

Hugs

Sheilagh

Anonymous said...

I always laugh when I talk to a client from NY that we have to send over to New Jersey...you would think that I asked them to fly to California or something. LOL