Powered by Blogger.

It's (Almost) New Year's Eve...


...and in New York City we're getting ready to see the ball drop.

I took this photograph on the way to work this morning. Times Square is eight blocks down the street and the police have put up barricades already to be ready for the crowds tomorrow night. I have been in the Times Square area several times in the past, but being part of crowds that large is something of the past for me. For over ten years I have celebrated with my bible study friends in our neighborhood. We have dinner at a local restaurant that is festive, but reasonably priced. The prices can be exorbitant, but this place has good food and doesn't add on major amounts because it's New Year's Eve. We have coffee and dessert at a friend's apartment very close to the restaurant and sometimes play Charades or Twenty Questions. We laugh a lot and it's always a lovely evening. This year some of our group is in Egypt, so we will be four. There is definitely a missing chair for our dear Barbara.

The week that was supposed to be quiet at work didn't happen and my desk looks like a cyclone just struck. So much for the organizing I hoped to do. But the day held so many nice surprises...

1) I got to wear my new wool hat that my friend Anita knit for me for Chanukah. So warm and cozy. I will show a picture over the weekend.

2) Peanut butter was on sale at the supermarket.

3) My Amazon book shipment arrived. So hoping it would get here before the weekend and I can spend a lot of time over the next few days reading. I got three brand new hardback books. No waiting for the library or book exchanges. Can't figure which one to start with. I've got to choose between "Wolf Hall," "The Help" and "New York: The Novel" by Edward Rutherford. I've enjoyed his other historical novels, especially the ones about Ireland. Which one should I start with?

4) I won perfume from one of my contests.

5) I got tickets to hear Carrie Fisher speak next month -- actually only 10 days from now -- as part of the New York Times Culture Weekend. Will of course report back to all of you.  

Wishes to all for a fun and happy New Year's Eve!

12 comments

Lucy said...

It should be a fun time! Too crowded for me though. I'll watch and wave to you through my TV!

Tricia said...

Peanut butter on sale? That wouldve made my day :)

^..^Corgidogmama said...

Oh! I loved reading The Help. It really spoke to me; I hope that you'll enjoy it too. Sounds like NYC is always getting ready for something. You have so many plans on your calendar already! Enjoy your evening out...there's something about traditions with friends, that is so, so special!

Country Whispers said...

Well it sounds like you had a pretty good day then. I'm with you on a quieter "low key" New Year's. We will probably stop by my parents and then stay up playing games with the kids. Simple but fun.
Happy New Year!
Oh and enjoy the weekend reading.

Chatty Crone said...

Wishing you a happy new year. Sandie

k and c's mom said...

Happy New Year (a little early in case I'm away from my computer...)

Jess said...

I am reading Wolf Hall now and the writing is amazing. However, it's not a light book and will take awhile. The New York book might be a better choice to give you a mini trip over the weekend into the historical city. Let me know how you like them.
We read Superfreakanomics and What the Dog Saw recently and recommend them highly.
Happy New Year.
Kathy

Debra said...

Happy New Year! We will be in Times Square...but only by way of the TV! Have a great evening!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Happy New Year! I'll be watching on tv too. The evening with your friends sounds like the perfect way to see the old year out. I'll be joining my next door sister for the evening as I have for many years. Our families are all out celebrating so we keep each other company. Tomorrow I'll cook dinner for the family. Enjoy your books! I'll probably read a little myself.

Jess said...

Mom's reading Wolf Hall and loving it, but seems to second the other Jess in that it's not a quick read. But enjoy!!

Anonymous said...

we'll be watching the ball drop on TV...best way to do it..no crowds and its warm!...wishing you a wonderful 2010....

HennHouse said...

I haven't read any of those books... but now I've got some to add to my list!

Happy New Year!