Powered by Blogger.

"Julie and Julia"



When I visited Washington in March I saw Julia Child's kitchen at the Museum of American History. I was so taken with it that I even blogged about it and posted one of the photos above. Tonight I went with my friend, Mary to see "Julie and Julia" which is both about how Julia Child came to write "Mastering the Art of French Cooking" and how Julie Powell of Queens, NY (the neighborhood near my office) wrote a blog about cooking all the recipes in "Mastering the Art..." in a year.
I loved it! It's about food (and extraordinary food), Paris, blogging, New York and stars one of my favorite actresses, Meryl Streep, who is extraordinary as Julia Child. It's also about finding the thing in life you love to do and doing it with joy and passion. And dear readers, it was filmed at Silvercup Studio, which I wrote about earlier this week.
In the one degree of separation...Meryl Streep and I overlapped for one semester in college. I spent my junior year at one of the men's colleges that was thinking of going coeducational -- and did the next year -- and Meryl was there the year before I got there and my first semester. We didn't know each other, but there were only 70 there, so I pretty much knew who the women were and even then she was an outstanding actress and very beautiful. It came as no surprise when she was starring in movies a decade later.
And my only experience cooking from "Mastering the Art..." came one Thanksgiving. In a total break from tradition a friend suggested we cook goose stuffed with prunes and foie gras. It took hours and involved such actions as stuffing the prunes with foie gras, intricate and labor intensive. The result was delicious, but very rich. I have happily returned to turkey in the years since.
Wishing you all, dear gentle readers, joy in all that you do.

8 comments

Mimi said...

HI!!!
My sister saw the movie today also, she raved about it as well, so I must say I will go see it now as all those things you mentioned interest me!!!!!
thanks for the great info!!!
hugs,
jamie

^..^Corgidogmama said...

It's on my list to go see. Anything Meryl is in, is better. This movie seems made for her.

Chatty Crone said...

I am going to see it next Sunday. Looks great. Thanks for your description. I'm 56 and still looking for what I really want to do in life! It's elusive for me.

Love Meryl Streep - my favorite was Mama Mia.

Olde Dame Penniwig said...

Halloo dearie...since I'm a vegetarian and appalled by certain chefs, I'll just say "hello" and leave it at that...LOL...

Joyful Days said...

How cool about Meryl Streep. I really want to see that movie. I don't know if I am ambitious enough to actually cook like that, but I dream about it sometimes.

(())

Julie

Stella said...

I have seen the movie advertised on TV and was wondering how it was. Thanks for sharing. I think it should be a must see now.

A Brit in Tennessee said...

A lovely revue, it seems quite a few of us had the chance to spend time over the weekend, watching this movie.
I thoroghly enjoyed it, no violence, and two ladies who I greatly admire.
Thanks for stopping by my place, hope to visit often !
Jo

Anonymous said...

How did I miss this post???

I so want to see this movie!