Powered by Blogger.

Asking for a Friend: Cool Grandma Name


I'm not looking for a cool Grandma name for me -- Alas! -- but for a dear friend, who will become a grandmother in July. I don't have any creative ideas, but I know there are good suggestions out in Buttercupland. 


My family was not especially creative in grandmother names. I called my mother's mother Grandma and my father's mother was Nana, though I often referred to them as my grandmother in Hartford and my grandmother in New York. Neither of these would work for my friend in Atlanta. My aunt was called Bubbe, the Yiddish word for grandmother and eventually became Bubbe Mimi to her grandchildren. In time we all referred to her as Bubbe Mimi.   


But I know the citizens of Buttercupland have some creative and cool names and we'd love to hear them. A grandmother to be is waiting in Georgia.  


As most people know I am not a fan of winter and when ever possible choose to spend at least a short time somewhere much warmer. But that isn't the schedule for this year -- at least not until next month -- and happily the winter is both mild and going quickly. Today is a gorgeous blue sky almost spring day and I started the day with an early visit to the Metropolitan Museum of  Art. It was blissfully uncrowded and it's inspired me to return to early weekday visits to the museum. I did this for several years after I first retired and loved it, but then drifted away from it. It's definitely time to return to this.


I find I frequently see a familiar painting or sculpture in a new way and my familiar painting for today is Georges Seurat's A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grand Jatte. Without the usual crowds I enjoyed standing in front of the painting and just taking it in. What a treat!




As ever, thanks for visiting. Wishes for a great evening.

11 comments

Sandi said...

She could use the Southern term Memaw. 🙂

Anonymous said...

She could pick a grandma name in any language she likes . Dutch and German: Oma (me and my sisters), abuela (spanish), Nonna (Italian), just for starters.

Deb J. in Utah said...

My grandchildren call me grandma and I am cool! No special name needed.

Anonymous said...

I know a couple who are "Lolly" and "Pop" to their grands.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I like mi mi and g g for grandma names. Mine call me grandma Rainey since they have two sets of grandparents. I'm love being a grandma, but I know what you mean about cute names.

Anonymous said...

I am MiMi Donna to one set of grandchildren and Mimi to my other grandson. A friend of mine is Oma to her grands, and I have heard Gigi and GeeMa for another friend. It’s delightful being a grandmother in whatever language or name!! ❤️❤️❤️

Susie said...

Hi Buttercup. Hope you are well. I miss keeping in touch. Life sure can change at times. My daughter Liz is Gigi, and Angie is Grammy, and Kathy is Nene. Karen is a new g.ma and has not picked a name yet. I am forever Nana Susu. I have heard of Mimi. Also Glam-ma . Blessings to you. xoxo, Susie

Mevely317 said...

I, too, come from traditional (unimaginative???) seniors' titles. All the same, I love these sorts of posers. Off the top of my head, how about... "Gemma"?

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Sorry, but I do not have any original or unique names to offer Buttercup, besides the traditional "grandma" or many of those previously mentioned by fellow bloggers. It would depend on what your friend would feel comfortable being called and if a nickname related to ethnicity is preferred than that would be a good choice. Your visit to eh museum sounds wonderful and one day I hope to return to NYC for a visit as it has been so many years (sigh).

Anonymous said...

No matter what name she chooses, the way the grandchild begins to pronounce it may be what ultimately sticks. I know someone who chose Nana but became "Lala." I think it's adorable.
Chris

Melody Jacob said...

As for your delightful morning at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, it sounds like a perfect way to embrace the beauty of the day and enjoy some cultural enrichment.