Powered by Blogger.

The Journey of a Thousand Miles (Plus One Hundred)

 

The Tiny Doll House, which I discovered during one of my January walks

Yes, you read the title correctly. It's another year and another thousand miles to walk, but this year, it's a thousand miles, plus one hundred more. After seven years and at age 73, I'm shaking up the Journey of 1000 Miles. It's time for a challenge. 

For the last three years it's been a relatively easy thousand miles. I ended 2023 having walked 1,070 miles. I realized with a little more initiative I could walk eleven hundred miles in 2024 and set a new record for myself. It will take a little more planning, a little more energy and a lot of good luck. The good luck are the things that I can't control, e.g., icy weather, extreme heat and the aches of older age.  

Unless I do a lot of walking in the next half hour, I will have completed January with 92 miles. Not bad for a month that had a stretch of freezing weather. I walked almost all of this out of doors, but I did use the treadmill, which I am so not a fan of doing, during the coldest days a few weeks ago. 

Where will I be walking this year? Of course, I will be walking in New York, Connecticut and New Jersey. I have a trip planned for March back to one of my favorite places ever, Sedona, Arizona, but with a number of new sights on the itinerary. I plan to be back in Maine in the summer and hoping for a visit to Vermont, too.  One of my hopes is to visit somewhere I've never been before. I've got some thoughts, but all of my paths seem to be leading me to familiar places. But the year is young and some of the best memories of 2023 weren't even a thought in my mind in January, 2023.

As ever, thanks for visiting and happy walking 2024. 

5 comments

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Good luck on your extra 100 miles. I have no doubt that you can do it. I admire your ability to do all that walking. I only wish I could do the same. It will be interesting to see what this year will bring. I'll be walking on unfamiliar ground as I am moving. I can't wait to see what this new year brings our way!

Jeanie said...

I love your walking challenge. I wish my feet and hip were up to that! If you walk toward Michigan, let me know!

Susan said...

Wow, after reading this, I am inspired to start walking again. I need to get back to the gym! Thanks for the inspiration!

Marcia said...

Applauding! Quite a milestone!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Carol, like yourself, I am also on a walking journey but have never tallied in terms of mileage, just steps. While I know the 10,000 steps/day was a goal originally set by a pedometer maker and that 4-5K/daily is more than acceptable, I have been working on a goal of 10K daily. I do use the gym treadmill here at the mill apts in the early morning hours and then walk outside or around the apt hallways to finish off when necessary. According to the health app on my phone, I averages 4.8 miles for the past 7 days. I haven't figured this in terms of a monthly or annual total. It's great that you can do so much walking around NYC

Your upcoming travel plans sound like fun trips, and perhaps you will make it to NH one day, although Maine and VT are lovely states as well.