Powered by Blogger.

The Best Laid Plans of Mice and Women

 

Keeping it real in Buttercupland tonight

When I was in college I had a number of jobs. They involved either food or books, except for one that involved food and books, which I especially enjoyed. Besides being paid, I got a lot out of my jobs. I learned multi-tasking in food service and how to make an urn of coffee without a lot of mess. In my library jobs I learned how to work with rare books, as well as the Library of Congress classification system. 

This morning all of this came together when my travel mug (seen in my last post) spilled in my tote bag. I was alerted to this disaster via the aroma of coffee and my soggy tote bag. I believed that my tote bag and the bag I had my coffee mug were both waterproof. It turns out that they are both water/liquid resistant. 

I was rattled when I arrived at my destination dripping coffee. Fortunately, my rare book skills that hadn't been used since 1971, came back to me. I grabbed a zillion napkins -- no acid free paper in the coffee shop where I was meeting my friend -- and placed one between each damp page. Fortunately it's the end of the year, and the 2023 insert will be retired. Unfortunately the faux leather holder seems a lot worse for wear and I think I'm going to treat myself to a new one that doesn't smell of coffee. I guess we know the first place where my coffee savings for 2023 will be directed. 

As for keeping it real, I've got to work on my multi-tasking. In the flurry of getting out this morning and trying to do a dozen things, I neglected one critical one. Was the lid on the travel mug sealed tightly? Guess not! But I did manage to pack a peanut butter sandwich for lunch between errands. I "saved" thirteen dollars -- minus the dollar I spent on semi-healthy chips to go with my sandwich -- today. 

Despite the coffee disaster I spent time with a friend, got to the gym, the post office, walked four miles, worked on holiday cards and got my RSV vaccination. I also learned a valuable lesson moving forth with my coffee savings project. Make sure the lid is sealed tight. 

How was your day?

As ever thanks for visiting and wishes for a no-spill Thursday.   

5 comments

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Oh yes, You've got to make sure the lid is tightened if you want don't want it to spill. I'm glad you had plenty of napkins on hand to dry things off. I don't mind the smell of coffee, so the bag would be a keeper for me. All we can do is learn the lessons our mistakes make for us. Hopefully, the rest of your trips out will be accident free.

Mevely317 said...

Darn! ... I think Blogger just ate my comment.
Hopefully it made it's way to your e-mail.

Little Wandering Wren said...

Hope you have dried out a little and that all your words can still be read! Here's to a calmer end of the week!
Wren x

Lynda said...

I love the "At a Glance" calendars. I used to carry the big 8.5 X 11 when I worked. It just helps to remove the chaos from a day when things are written down rather than having to remember them. Now we have a wall calendar with big squares as well as a free "Guideposts" one for my purse. Glad you saved the day quickly with the napkins.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

While so many people put things on their phones, I have always also liked to use a wall calendar or notebook sized one, so am with you Carol. Hope your book wasn't affected by the coffee spill.