Powered by Blogger.

Approaching La Rochelle

 

 

My view from the dining room is La Rochelle, a port city on the Atlantic coast of France. The beautiful view above is Arromanches, the site of one of the British landings on D-Day. I will do a fuller post on our visit to the D-Day museum and the Pegasus Bridge. The Pegasus Bridge is where the first troops dropped by glider just after midnight on June 6, 1944. 

We’re spending a leisurely day in La Rochelle before leaving for Bordeaux and a visit to a vineyard. Thankfully, it’s another sunny day in France, perfect for exploring.

As ever, thanks for visiting. Good wishes for the week ahead.


6 comments

Lynda said...

That is such a beautiful view. It reminds me just a little bit of Maine.
There were many, many heroes of WW2. The more books I read, the more I am impressed with the bravery of the soldiers especially but also the regular citizens.
Thank you for updates and photos.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

How nice to be having sunny weather ! It is chilly with off and on rain here. A vineyard is something to look forward to. My dad landed on that beach in WWII when he was in the army.

A Bit of the Blarney said...

Beautiful photo! Look forward to your photos from Bordeaux! Cathy

Jeanie said...

Sounds wonderful. Enjoy! Especially the vineyard!

LC said...

Your photo stirs memories of coasts we have visited in our travels that offer dramatic scenery such as you are experiencing. We live in a coastal area on the Gulf of Mexico, but our sand beaches lack the elevation.

Vagabonde said...

La Rochelle! I spent a week there with my late husband several years ago. We found it a charming little town. I hope you taste great wines in Bordeaux! We went to a small town called Cadillac near Bordeaux (I think that this is from where the US car got its name.) They have a nice sweet white wine which is not well known.