Powered by Blogger.

No Spending February

My first grocery purchase in February was a pound of grapes for two dollars

Today is the first day of February and the first day of both No Spending February and Grocery February. No Spending months have been around for years, but GroceryFebruary was introduced last year.  My "rules" for No Spending months are not spending money on things. No clothes, furniture, linens and shiny things that grab my attention at Target or anywhere else that has spending temptations. My budget for the month permits food, cleaning supplies, essential medications and vitamins. 

In the past I've prepared for a no spending month by buying things that I anticipate needing in the month. This year I didn't buy a few gifts that I'll need during the month and the mailers for the gifts that need to get mailed. I'm giving myself a budget of forty dollars for these things. I hope to spend less, but I've got ten dollars/week to include these items. 

My bigger focus this month is my grocery spending aka GroceryFebruary. Last year I spent $185.00 for groceries in February. I don't think/know that won't happen this year. While I still buy very little meat/chicken, I do buy eggs and they will definitely make up for the meat and chicken purchases. I also did major grocery shopping for staples at the end of January last year. I'm out of a number of things and I'm going to grocery shop tomorrow. I will be in Connecticut where prices are lower than Manhattan, but it will still add up and be part of my February grocery spending. 

I will report weekly and of course, report on the entire month at the beginning of March. My other goals for February include decluttering and donating books to the library book sale. I brought my first bag of books over today and I hope to bring at least one bag every week. Does anyone else have plans for projects in February?

As ever thanks for visiting and thanks for being part of Buttercupland.   
 

8 comments

Deb J. in Utah said...

I think that a "no spend" month is a great idea!

tiff said...

Going to finally finish the bathroom addition/bedroom reno, I hope. I have to get my act together on taxes and financial planning, which is of course very exciting. Good luck with your plans!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Grocery shopping has become quite a challenge where savings are concerned. In recent weeks, we have only been buying no more than two chicken, seafood or meat items and finding recipes that will result in leftovers. Also not going to shop until all the fresh vegetables are used up so none are wasted.

Jeanie said...

Well done -- that's a great idea. It does strike me that it's a month one should plan ahead for. With increased food price, that could be tricky. Good luck.

Mevely317 said...

This is such a good idea. I fear in the next few months this challenge will be impossible (for me). Depending on what I spend on my road trip (Last Hurrah!), I'd like to revisit the idea.

Donna Mahoney said...

I have never done a no spending month, though every time I read about you doing it, I always think it’s a wonderful idea!
As for projects, due to a super busy January and traveling a bit, I am working on getting all the Christmas decorations put away and up in the attic, before we leave on vacation.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Grocery shopping is challenging. I keep spending more and getting less and less. Due to my limited budget and a closet full of clothes, I haven't bought myself anything in a long time. Most of my money has been spent on the car, not me. I'll be looking forward to seeing how you do..

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I made a list of everything I've procrastinated and started working on it last week. So far...so good!