Powered by Blogger.

Happy 50th, Daughters of Dartmouth

Happy to share the official photograph of the 50th anniversary celebration of coeducation at Dartmouth College. Many thanks to the college for this photograph. 

I'm back from my whirlwind tour of New England. I had a great visit with K. in Vermont, where we enjoyed summer weather -- not great for skiing -- and visited bookstores, an art gallery and ate our favorite banana pudding dessert in Stowe. The last was two years in the making and well worth waiting for. 

After my visit we drove down to New Hampshire where I was delighted to join hundreds of Daughters of Dartmouth -- women graduates of the college -- to celebrate fifty years of women at Dartmouth. Though the college was founded in 1769 and is the ninth oldest institution of higher education in the country, women students are a much more recent addition. As I've written before I was at the college before women were formally admitted and only was able to spend one year there. Six years ago those of us who attended before formal coeducation were given the opportunity to officially join a class. I chose my own class, 1972, and have enjoyed being part of the Dartmouth family.  


In November 1971 the Board of Trustees approved the formal admission of women, so technically, it's fifty-one years of coeducation, but last fall wasn't the time for a big get-together.   

It was a wonderful weekend. Dartmouth Hall -- above and below photos was rededicated after a major renovation. It was built between 1784 and 1792, twice destroyed by fire and totally renovated in the last two years. Saturday included panel discussions, an interview with the President-Elect, Sian Beilock, and a festive dinner. But aside from the formal activities I especially enjoyed meeting women who have attended over the past fifty years. I'm delighted to have new friends from the classes of 1976 and 1979 and to spend time with a few of my own classmates that I met at out 50th reunion. 

Dartmouth Hall by green light

After zipping around the east coast this fall I'm both happy to be home and yes, a little forlorn that my travels have wound down. So enjoyed many good times with friends both of long-standing and brand new! But the last weeks of 2022 hold so much, especially the fun of the season in New York City. My goal is to post daily in December and I'm already thinking about places I want to visit. There will be some old favorites and I hope to add a few new ones. Of course, Pep LeMonkee, Nessie and the Snowpeople and Friends Orchestra and Chorus will be making an appearance. 

As ever, thanks for visiting and take good care. 

6 comments

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Thankfully women have made great strides in recent years. It is an honor to see you were a great part of that history. Our days of warmer weather are long gone. There is snow on the rooftops here and a slight coating on the ground.

Marcia said...

So that's why there were tents up in front of Baker. Glad you had a nice visit to my part of the world.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Glad you enjoyed your visit to New England, Carol, and nice that you were in NH for the Dartmouth celebration and spending time with friends and former college friends. This is a fun season in NYC for sure.

NanaDiana said...

What wonderful pictures and thoughts. Just look how far we have come in the last 50 years. It's amazing where we are today. I am glad you enjoyed your trip. I was in Connecticut three weeks ago and it was wonderful visiting my grandgirl and we toured Yale. xo Diana

Lowcarb team member said...

So pleased you enjoyed your visit to New England.
Lovely to see your photographs.

All the best Jan

Jeanie said...

What a grand time you had! I'm so glad it was a wonderful weekend and up to expectations or beyond. The photos are lovely! I'll bet it will feel good to settle at home for a bit, though. You've had quite the journeying schedule! Happy weekend.