Powered by Blogger.

The Autumn Is Gold

Autumn in Maine, 2019

 At (one day short of) 72 I know my summer days are past. Though I'm feeling amazingly youthful having spent almost two weeks of the last few months with friends who knew me when, I realize that it's time now for the golden days of autumn. I'm not going to lament the green days of summer gone by and miss the the beauties of autumn that are ahead. 

Make no mistake, my friends, I'm still (much) the same fun-loving Buttercup and Pep remains my faithful companion in escapades. But the last few years have taken a toll in light-heartedness and the two fiftieth reunions and a birthday have shifted my thoughts to the passage of time. I'm not dwelling on it, but the words "55th reunion" evoked an awareness that lay dormant. 

While I was ruminating on the passage of time a song lyric popped into my mind and it was the phrase, "It's never too late." The song has the same title as a 1965 movie starring Paul Ford and one of my all-time favorite actresses, Maureen O'Hara. It was sung by Tony Bennett in his complete summer years and it's a sweet and slightly cheesy song. I looked up the lyrics and one line stood out, "the summer is green and the autumn is gold." 

I'm going to disclose my birthday wish, however unconventional that may be. I'm wishing for lots of bright autumn gold shared with friends and family, with sunsets at the beach and  books and coffee. 

Let's share a virtual toast to the glories of autumn!

As ever, thanks for your friendship and wishes to all for summer sunsets and autumn leaves. 

7 comments

Nellie said...

Oh! Is tomorrow your birthday? Too late to have a card on time in the mail! Happy birthday! You know that I am a decade older, and I’m still embarking on adventures! I suspect there are still many ahead for you!

Deb J. in Utah said...

Have a Golden Day on your birthday. I know you will have many wonderful days ahead in the golden autumn. Will look forward to a post about how you celebrated your birthday!

Brenda said...

Told my students when I taught
Summer. Aged to 30
Spring to 50
Autumn to 70
Winter after that lol
I am in winter

Deanna Rabe said...

Happiest Birthday, to you!

There is so much beauty and delight in autumn, and I think the autumn years can be the same way. You have the right frame of mind for enjoying life whatever stage!

Many Blessings, Carol!

Mevely317 said...

The lyrics-lover in me is going to have to Google that song. I think your birthday wish is perfect, Carol. I want to savor every minute of my favorite season.
Happy Birthday blessings to you AND Pep!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I'm ao not ready to think about autumn days. I'm still trying to enjoy these summer days. Already fall clothing is in the store. Back to school is being advertised. The summer has gone by way too fast. So I'm hanging on to these wonderful warm days with plenty of daylight! After fall comes winter and I'm not ready for that at all. Enjoy these lovely days and don't wish them away!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

Happy Birthday sweet lady! You and I are the same age...I'm a few months older than you so I really know how you feel. I didn't make a birthday wish this year so I hope you'll share yours with me! Lots of hugs, Diane