Powered by Blogger.

The Journey of 1,000 Miles: Chapter Five

 


And the final number for 2021 is 1015.9 miles, which surpasses 2019 and 2020, when I fell short of my goal (875 and 919 respectively).


I finished my Journey of 1000 Miles for 2021 on Monday, December 27 at approximately 4:20 P.M. I was delighted to have the four remaining days in 2021 that didn't include obsessively tracking my mileage. I did keep walking and without planning finished the year with a five-mile day on December 31. The morning was bright, sunny and as balmy as any day in April, which made walking a complete pleasure. 


I also tallied my miles for the last five years (when I began serious tracking) and my total mileage is 4809.9 miles. My goal is to walk 10,000 miles in ten years (or eleven or twelve, if need be) and I'm reasonably on track for that, too. If it was possible to walk to Europe or Africa I'd have reached Moscow at 4,786 miles and gone beyond  Dakar, Senegal at 3,830 miles. My ultimate goal is to reach Sydney, Australia at 9,950 miles. 


When I first started this habit/practice/obsession I wasn't sure I would have the discipline to complete it, let alone to keep doing it after five years. Though I didn't complete my goals during 2019 and 2020, it gave me structure during the worst of the pandemic days. The one thing I could do is go outside and walk and I did. Now it's just part of my life and one I'm very grateful to be able to continue.  


I walked in seven U.S. states last year. I'm hopeful I can do more traveling and add a new place or two to my walking list. I've got no plans right now, but lots of dreams. I will definitely keep you posted.  


This first week of 2022 has been a quiet one, but quite productive. I went into a decluttering whirlwind and there are two bags of donations, two bags of paper to recycle and two bags of trash. At least a dozen magazines went for recycling and my goal is be much more ruthless in that direction. More to come and so glad I've embarked on this with so much energy.


As ever, thanks for visiting and hope you're having a good first week of 2022.

9 comments

Deb J. in Utah said...

Congratulations on making your walking goal! Good job! Good job on the decluttering too. I need to do more of that. Right now I am trying to convince my husband to declutter. He isn't as convinced as I am that it needs to be done. ;-) Glad your week is going well. Our week is cold and wet. See you again soon!

Carol said...

Congratulations on reaching such a huge goal. I am sure that you will be walking across many more states and countries this year.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

You are blessed to be able to continue to walk so much and have managed to keep safe while doing so. I can no longer walk much at all and envy your accomplishments. I used to be a walker every day but can no longer do so. So good luck to you may you forever enjoy your walks!

Chatty Crone said...

Way to go - I am so proud of you!

Little Wandering Wren said...

That's great on all counts - good to have increased your already impressive steps on previous years and it is always great to declutter! Happy Wanderings Carol!
Wren x

Theresa said...

That is awesome! Congrats!!!! 2022 will be a good year, I feel it! Have a blessed day dear friend, HUGS!

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I have never tracked the distance I walk, but I am an outdoors person and there is rarely a day that I don't walk. I can't imagine that over the year I would average anything less that about five to six kilometres a day, say three miles a day, so it looks like we are pretty much on par!

Anonymous said...

WOW! Congratulations! xo,V

Brenda said...

P. S. My goal for last year was 1500...I surpassed it
Goal for 2020 was 1500...did 1900
Goal this year 1200...every step is pain, and I am getting older...