Powered by Blogger.

Pink Saturday Remembers September 11, 2001

The Calatrava Train Station at the rebuilt World Trade Center,
a hub for subway lines and commuter railroad

I started writing this post on Friday night and got as far as the two paragraphs below. I'm not sure why it was so difficult this year, but, for the first time since my first post in 2009 about September 11, I was at a loss for words. I had many tears, but few words. 
  
My original post:
For the first time in twenty years I've realized that the day may get easier (only incrementally), but the day and the weeks preceding September 11, will never be easy. I've also realized that in an effort to preserve my sanity I need to turn off the news coverage, which is exactly what I did tonight. 

It's difficult to fathom that twenty years have gone by. I worked in Lower Manhattan in 2001, just a short distance south of the World Trade Center. I often stopped there after work to run errands in the underground shopping center and then took the subway home. And yes, I was on the subway on my way to work when the first plane hit the towers. 


I've been in the World Trade Center area many times since 2001. Our office continued to be down the street from the area until 2005, and in the years that followed I had many meetings in the neighborhood and often met friends there as well. I walked by the smoldering pile and saw it changed to a construction site and then to a site of a museum, office buildings and a memorial. There's still some construction twenty years later, but the destruction of the day lives on in the museum, memory and the retelling of the stories of those who were part of the events of the day. I'm grateful to be able to share some of my recollections twenty years later and will continue to do so for as long as I am able. 

To those who were killed on that beautiful later summer day, twenty years and one day ago: You will never be forgotten. May your memories continue to be blessings.

This isn't my usual Pink Saturday post, but it was all that was on my mind and in my heart. 

As ever, thanks for visiting and take good care. 

9 comments

Deb J. in Utah said...

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts and memories. I couldn't watch the news, or any of the "commemoration shows" at all this weekend. I was nowhere near NYC, Washington D.C. or Shanksville, but the memories and feelings of that day are still real and raw. I will never forget, and will never stop feeling pain at the attack on our country that day.

Sandi said...

Thank you for sharing this.

I had a mental block this year and found it difficult to look at or read anything about 9/11. Not sure why this year was different. A podcast guy I watch posted an interview with a NY fire fighter, so I watched that. I am glad I did. (Lex Fridman podcast, if you want to look it up on you tube.)

On that day I was at work in NC, so not even close by, but it was like we were all there. I have felt different things over the years, but this year's speech by George W. Bush really upset me. I don't know what to think about him anymore.

How did you get away? Did they stop the subway?

Edna B said...

A beautiful remembrance post. Thank you. Enjoy your day, hugs, Edna B.

Deanna Rabe said...

It was so impactful for the nation, but especially for New Yorkers. It's not surprising that it still brings those feelings.

I'm grateful that you were not harmed physically that day, Carol.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I will remember and never forget that day and keep telling the stories so we don't forget.It was the worst of times and the best of times as people came together to help each other in numerous ways.

Chatty Crone said...

I will NEVER forget 9-11.

Nellie said...

Such a a terrible time for all of us! I am thankful that you didn’t suffer physical harm on that day!

Jeanie said...

This is really powerful, Carol. I'm so very glad you were safe that day. Thank you for sharing this -- I didn't know your posts then.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

What powerful memories you have shared here, Carol, thank you. While many of us have our own memories of where we were and what we were doing, nothing compares with having been so close by. My TV was on non-stop 20 years ago at the time of these events. In the years since, I have never watched any follow-ups.