Powered by Blogger.

From: The Department of Technology, Buttercupland


Thankfully, this was the most exciting sight after Hurricane/Tropical Storm Henri. The neighborhood came out unscathed, 
and we've had two hot end-of-summer days to enjoy.  

 A memo from the Department of Technology, Buttercupland

To: Citizens of Buttercupland

Re: Fake Buttercups


If you get a friend request here, on Instagram or Facebook and there are no posts, it's a fake Buttercup. Last week a fake Buttercup (Buttercup3) "borrowed" my photograph and list of Instagram friends and sent out messages to all of them. The fake Buttercup was looking for people to send direct messages and engage with in a "passive income" aka money-making scheme.


I'm not looking to create a new Facebook or Instagram page and for now, I'm busy enough with Buttercupland and my sadly neglected Coffee Light and Mysteries Noir. I may post about a product or two on Instagram, but I will never message you about new income opportunities. Never.


This is the real Buttercup https://www.instagram.com/buttercupnyc/, and sadly, despite asking Instagram to take down the usurper, it's still there. The Department of Technology asks you to delete and report all hackers, not just this one impersonating me. It can happen to any of us and it's an unfortunate fact of technology life. The one positive thing that has come out of this episode is the number of friends that have been in touch, and it's been fun to catch up.


I haven't done everything on my to-do list, but got done more than I expected. My accomplishments include a trip to Lower Manhattan and lots of picture taking, including some fun ones for this week's Pink Saturday.


Please stop by tomorrow for a trip out west. We'll be celebrating the 105th anniversary of the National Park Service.


As ever, thanks for visiting and have a wonderful Wednesday.


8 comments

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Thanks for the heads up about fake messages, Carol, which many will appreciate. Thankfully, I am not a participant in any other social media other than blogging, but eill remain vigilant nevertheless. Glad to read that Henri didn’t cause any damage, same here.

Theresa said...

Hackers are annoying. My BFF got hacked on FB and went months trying to get back on. I will keep an eye out for FAKE you:) Enjoy your day dear friend, HUGS!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Sorry to hear you were hacked. I see that happening to other folks all the time, but have never had it happen to me. Yet, anyway. Everyday is something new in the land of Technology.

Nellie said...

Hackers! Such an annoyance! So happy to hear that Henri’s presence wasn’t disastrous for you! During these hot summer days, that cart is very welcome!

Tristan Robin said...

Mister Softee! 🎶🎊🎶
We have ice cream trucks here, but I haven't seen a real-live-honest-to-goodness Mister Softee in DECADES! OH, what I wouldn't give for a blast from the past real life Mister Softee Dreamsicle (always my favorite ice cream truck treat).

Sorry about your thief. Six years ago, my better half had identity stolen, including social security, tax id., the works. It took over two years to get straightened out - and we STILL get the occasional repercussion from it. The only good thing out of it is a terrific book got written out the whole thing! LOL ( "Identity Thief" by JP Bloch on Amazon).

I hope you have seen the last of your hacking identity thief. Such annoyances are a part of life, I suppose, but I don't understand why they need be!

Enjoy this returning heat wave - personally, I'm not leaving the house and may take up residence over the A/C vents.

My Tata's Cottage said...

I delete all that junk. It is frustrating though. I always enjoy your stories and photos here. :-)

Great-Granny Grandma said...

Hackers are so annoying. You'd think they could find better things to do with their time.

Edna B said...

Sorry to hear that you have been hacked. It's sad that there are folks who actually enjoying hurting others. I'd really like to see that ice cream truck in my neighborhood. Enjoy your day, hugs, Edna B.