Powered by Blogger.

Wedding Wednesday: March 2, 1947

 

My mother's wedding portrait

In this week's Wedding Wednesday we're going back in time to a wedding that took place on March 2, 1947 in Hartford, Connecticut. The beautiful bride is my mother. I rediscovered this photograph during my most recent round of decluttering. There was a smaller framed version on my parents' dresser when I was growing up, but that was over fifty years ago. When I saw it again last month, it was as though I'd never seen it before. 

My parents met in October, 1946. They were introduced by a couple who was friends with both sets of my grandparents. My mother lived in Hartford and my father in Brooklyn. There was no quick interstate highway between the two cities, just the Merritt Turnpike and the Hartford, New Haven and New York Railroad. In the five months between first meeting and their wedding they decided to get married, became engaged and planned a large, formal wedding. No internet, no cell phones and no texts, just the U.S. mail and the telephone to keep the relationship going and put the wedding together.  

Though they'd spent very little time together before they married, somehow it worked. Their personalities were very different, but their values were right in step together. Family and family time together, faith and country were top of the list. They were both voracious readers, books and newspapers, and they were happy to bring me along in the family pastime. We raked leaves as a family, shoveled snow as a family, visited historic sites as a family and loved summer weekends at the Connecticut shore with extended family.   

Even fairy tale weddings and the stories that follow them come to an end. My parents were married for 34 years, until my father passed away in 1981. But like fairy tales, the memories of the story live on, especially in the memory of those who loved them. 

Happy anniversary, Mom and Dad. Your love and your story live on in my memory.    

As ever, thanks for visiting and take good care. 

16 comments

Catherine said...

It’sa beautiful photo and good memories.

acorn hollow said...

Beautiful bride. And yes that was one quick formal wedding good for her for being so organized
Cathy

Marcia said...

What a lovely tribute to your parents. She was a beautiful bride.

Rustic Pumpkin said...

What a beautiful bride. March 2 was my dear parent's anniversary too.

Edna B said...

Such a beautiful bride. What a lovely memory of their love story. You have a wonderful day, hugs, Edna B.

Olde Dame Holly said...

Beautiful bride! She looks like a star of the silver screen, so sophisticated.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

What a happy memory and a lovely photo. She was a beautiful bride. How things have changed these days and we keep int touch in different ways, But I think if it's meant to be it will.

Biomaster said...

Buttercup,
So nice to have happy wedding memories. Your mother is lovely, especially in this dress. I got married in my mother's wedding dress, which was pretty special. I have transcribed a collection of letters between my mom and dad during part of this same time period and have shared this with all of their grandchildren and wives, who've enjoyed learning about a different time. Communication was so different then and has changed so much just in our lifetimes. Thanks!

Beside a babbling brook... said...

What a lovely find!!!!!!!!

And a lovely story, of their courtship and marriage.

🌸 🌷 🌺 🌸 🌷 🌺 🌸 🌷

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

Your beautiful mother's genes were passed to you. She is absolutely lovely and
her dress is magnificent.

Brenda said...

That is one of the most beautiful pictures I have ever seen. Amazing. My mother was a teen bride...so nothing like that...enjoyed seeing it...

Deb J. in Utah said...

Your mother was a beautiful bride. I enjoyed reading your parent's love story. Have a good Friday.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Thanks for sharing this family memory, Buttercup. You mother was a beautiful bride and her dress was lovely. I agree that it is amazing that such a major event could be planned and completed in the days before all our modern conveniences.

Lowcarb team member said...

A beautiful photograph and lovely tribute post.

All the best Jan

TARYTERRE said...

a beautiful love story. your mom and her dress are lovely. so nice you found a photo that was so much a part of your childhood. wonderful memories, indeed.

Laurel Wood said...

Gorgeous photo of your Mom, I enjoyed your post very much, yesterday would have been my parents 74 anniversary. I hope you have an enjoyable afternoon,