Powered by Blogger.

Throwback Thursday: A Message from the Buttercupland Department of Records

My mother's side of the family, March 1947

After reading yesterday's post one of the Buttercupland regulars sent me a note asking, "Where is your father?" A good question, and one I'm happy to answer. This was the only wedding photograph I could easily find, and one I've enjoyed looking at through the years. 

I thought that I was very familiar with who was included in the pictures, but I've just spent a good half hour trying to figure out who are some of these people. One of my great aunts appears to be missing and I'm unsure who is standing to the right of my mother. With the exception of the couple in the first row on the right -- they introduced my parents and were as close as family -- everyone else is family (I think), mostly my grandmother's or grandfather's siblings, children and grandchildren. There are also at least two first cousins of my grandmother in the second row. 

Tonight, when I look at this picture, my thought is "I wish...". I wish I had written down the names of everyone in the picture when I had the opportunity. I'm sure there was a time my mother and I looked at this picture together and I'm also sure she told me who everyone was. I was also sure I would remember, but as with so many other things, the names have slipped beyond memory. I wish I could have one more day at the beach with my Aunt Dora and Uncle Nate or one more chat about nail polish colors with my Aunt Lizzie, let alone one more minute with either of my parents. I wish...  


From: The Buttercupland Department of Records 
To: Citizens of Buttercupland

Write it down! Names slip away and faces slip away. Sadly, the day may come when there is no one left to ask and you will be grateful to have the information in front of you.

In our next post we're going to leave 1947 and return to this week in New York City. We're going to visit the Museum of Modern Art (MOMA). I had a wonderful visit and this week and I hope you will enjoy it, too. 

  As ever, thanks for visiting and take good care.
  

11 comments

kestrel said...

That is a really large gathering. I agree that we should have taken more care of labelling our older relatives in photos, a present to the living and future. I have the same problem now too, loads of old photos with people I cannot identify, and with only one aunt and uncle left in their nineties, the end of my parents generation is near.

acorn hollow said...

Very true write it down we were just going through pictures and we both stumbled over our family pictures of those long passed.The sad thing is my daughter knows none of these people and will have no interest in these pictures.
cathy

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

My mom was good at writing names down on pictures but I seldom did. Like you, I was sure that I would remember. When I look at pictures of my children as babies, sometimes I am not sure who is who.

Even if you do not know all the names, you are fortunate to have that picture of your large family. Maybe you have other pictures with names that you could match up with this picture.

Deb J. in Utah said...

Great pictures. I have been thinking that I need to get a photo scanner and start scanning and identifying old family pictures. I have a ton of photo albums gathering dust in the basement and there is a lot of family history and sweet memories in them that I need to work to preserve. Thanks for the inspiration. Have a good Friday.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Such a great idea! I have lots of picture of people I do not recognize. It would have been nice to know their names. I must keep better records and write names down.

Olde Dame Holly said...

That is wise advice. Incredible as it may seem, we do forget names, and sometimes I even ask myself, "Where was this picture taken?"

Edna B said...

So very true. Write it down when you have the chance. As time goes by, we forget names and dates and some folks aren't here anymore to help us remember. I need to go through my photos to make sure there are names on all of them. You have a wonderful day, hugs, Edna B.

Beside a babbling brook... said...

That is a fantastic photo!!!!

So true, write names/dates down! Sadly, I bet we are all guilty of not doing so, though.......... -sigh-

🌸🌺🌷🌸🌺🌷🌸

A Bit of the Blarney said...

I know I have photos like yours. The backs have names all listed so I don't forget. The photo of your mother is just beautiful! Such a lovely lady! Have a wonderful weekend!

Lowcarb team member said...

Fantastic photograph ... and good advice.

All the best Jan

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

This was good advice, Carol, as I too have some old photos but have no idea of the names of the persons. Sadly, all are long deceased including my parents who would certainly have known the people.