Powered by Blogger.

The Journey of 10,000 Miles

 

It begins the same way the Journey of 1,000 Miles begins, with a single step

Yes, you read the title correctly. We're taking a journey of 10,000 miles. 

I embarked on my first Journey of 1,000 Miles in January 2017. My Weight Watchers leader suggested choosing a challenge for the year ahead. I chose a somewhat ambitious goal of walking 1,000 miles during the year as a way to encourage myself to walk more. I was walking about two miles most days and with a little extra effort and planning I could increase that. I quickly realized I needed to be consistent. If I didn't do the work all year I wouldn't be able to complete the challenge by walking 500 miles in December. I liked the structure (and the exercise) and finished the year with 1,039 miles. 

I continued the challenge in 2018 and walked 1,060 miles (approximately), surpassing my 2017 mileage. I kept track in 2019, but only completed 850 miles (hip replacement slowed me down) and walked 919 miles last year. My total mileage for the last four years is 3,860 miles.
If I could walk to Australia, it would be a 10,000 mile journey. 

During this week, my friend, Betsy, and I were out for one of our walks when she commented on my 10,000 mile journey. I started laughing at the thought and put it out of my mind. But when I got home I realized that I was well on my way to 10,000 miles. I did a search and saw that Sydney, Australia could be my (virtual) destination for my decade long challenge, at a distance of 10,277 miles. Barring anything unforeseen, my goal is to complete this challenge by walking 10,000 miles by December 31, 2026. 

If I have learned anything in 2020 it's that there is always something unforeseen. But I have also learned that the journey is more important than the destination, and it's always worth trying to reach a goal.    

New York City to Magdalen College, Oxford,  England, 3,408 miles 

While Sydney is my final destination I'm enjoying the stops along the way. Counting my miles in 2021 I've now left England and I'm on the European continent. I'm somewhere east of Amsterdam, a city I hope to visit and where I'd like to walk sometime in the next six years. 

I'm not sure if I will get very far beyond New York City this year, let alone to any other countries, or even states. But like a pilgrim of the Middle Ages I'm on my quest and excited and eager to see where the bends in the road take me for the next 6,000 miles. 

As ever, thanks for visiting and take good care. 

15 comments

Ginny Hartzler said...

Wow, you are amazing! My hat is off to you! Also, this is a gorgeous photo of a stormy Sydney Opera House.

Deb J. in Utah said...

I love this! Have a great weekend. :-)

A Bit of the Blarney said...

How exciting!! I’m excited because I think I will attempt this. I walk regularly too (unless there’s snow and ice on the roads or it’s 14 degrees outside). I’ve never thought of where my 2.5 mile walks might take me except to the river and home. Thank you and enjoy your weekend!!!!!

acorn hollow said...

I am in an on line walking group (we are all rug hookers) some have goals like this other just want to make a goal of moving every day. I think it is a wonderful goal and interesting so see where the miles could have taken you.
Cathy

Martha said...

You are doing such a fantastic job! I'm excited to see how far you go this year :)

Olde Dame Holly said...

What an amazing idea, and even more amazing is your progress!

Karen said...

I love this post! I'm in awe of your progress. Safe travels as you make your way around the world! xo

Marcia said...

Nothing like putting into perspective the distance you've walked and where you want to end up. Great!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

I always enjoy keeping up with your traveling all over the world. George and I have gotten a lot of traveling done in the 20 years we have been together. BUT--nothing like you have done. I admire you so much...

Your 1000 miles a year Walking Challenge is a great idea... I haven't been walking much lately (weather) and I can feel the difference in my body... Hopefully, we'll get more warmer weather soon...

Hugs,
Betsy

Beside a babbling brook... said...

This is brilliant!!!!!!!!!!

A marvelous way to add fun, to a good-for-health project!

Goooooo Youuuuuuu!!!!

Thank you for commenting in my blog.

I do remember something like your plan... A used-to-be well known doctor, swam every day. So planned on "swimming" to her daughter's college, if I remember rightly. And I think she had a Map/Chart up and she would show how far she had gone... On the map...

Gentle hugs...

Edna B said...

Congratulations to you. No matter how far you eventually make it, you've already won. Enjoy your journey, hugs, Edna B.

Mari said...

That's amazing! And a really fun way to get the miles in. It's a win/win situation!

Anne M Robinson said...

That is a great! I miss walking but we have had such freezing snow and cold wether it has been hard to walk except indoors and I am not much for browsing stores these days. I love being close to home where I am free to enjoy mydays. I am hopeful the Springtime will bring good days so walking will be easier to do.

Anne M Robinson said...

I guess my comment jumoed back here. HaHa leave it to me. I do love walking and like this challenge. Our son is getting ready to move his phamily into a larger home so chasing toddlers gives us the best exercise. We sleep like lambs after a day with the boys, hoping your weekend is a beutiful one.

Great-Granny Grandma said...

What a wonderful idea for getting in those steps. Do you have a software you use to do your online tracking of the walk? I'd love to try something like this.