Powered by Blogger.

The Journey of 1,000 Miles, Chapter Five

 

My view from the bus stop today, mile mark 2.6 

In January 2017 I decided that I would walk 1,000 miles during the year. It was a challenge and I wasn't sure I would succeed, but I put on my sneakers and put one foot in front of the other and by the end of 2017 I had walked 1,039 miles. I found I liked the regular exercise and the discipline and I made the same commitment for 2018 and again walked over 1,000 miles. 

I began 2019 by getting my hip replaced. I knew there would be days I wouldn't walk a mile, let alone two or three miles and made my commitment to walk 500 miles. I ended 2019 with 850 miles and was very happy with the number. Last year I resolved to walk 1,000 miles, but 2020 wasn't a year where I walked all over New York City and a dozen other places. There were days I walked around my block four or five times, avoiding everyone I encountered. I even stopped tracking my mileage. Fortunately my Fitbit didn't stop tracking and, at the end of 2020, I added up my miles and my total was 919 miles. 

I wasn't sure I would do my 1,000 mile journey in 2021, but, at the beginning of January,  as I reflected on the year ahead I realized that regular exercise was one of the few things I could control this year and I needed as much structure as I could build into my life. I recommitted to my Journey of 1,000 miles and walked 80+ miles in January. 

Even though it doesn't look like 2021 will be a year where I walk all over a dozen other places, I'm optimistic about expanding my world in New York City. I am scheduled to receive my second dose of vaccine on Friday and by the beginning of March i think I will feel more comfortable planning walks throughout the city. I will still be masked and I'm not sure how comfortable I will be eating indoors, but I'll be looking for outdoor events, especially as the weather gets nicer.  


A coffee stop at Breads Bakery on Broadway. Great coffee, great bread and heaters!

Though snow was predicted for today it didn't materialize and it was a pleasant enough day to enjoy coffee out of doors -- as long as heaters were provided. I made the most of a snowless day and ended up with 8900 steps, not quite 3.6 miles. Tomorrow looks equally warm and snowless and I'm planning another three mile day, too. 

As ever, thanks for stopping by. Take care and keep cozy. 

8 comments

Brenda said...

I am doing that also
2020 I did 1900 plus
Didn’t always have Fitbit on
I have arthritis and fibromyalgia and osteoporosis and am old lol. This year am going to set goal less. However am moving from Indy to Fl so might be easier.
I love your blog. It is one of the best ever. Thank you.

acorn hollow said...

I only count my walking on the days I am off from work in Jan 62 miles but I did walk at least a mile or two on the days I worked. I am keeping track too for the first time we shall see just how far I go.
cathy

Edna B said...

Wow! I think it's awesome that you have such a wonderful goal. And you are meeting it! In my younger days, I would love to have tried this. I used to love walking. I love your photos. You find all the beauty of New York. Enjoy your day, hugs, Edna B.

Marcia said...

I am really impressed. I enjoy walking but don't do it every day outside. Inside I walk in place for exercise with Leslie Sansone. It's more than just walking and gives me a good workout.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

How nice you have a place outdoors that provides heaters. That would be ok with me. But here there is no place like that. It's only cold and colder and so I remain indoors. I can hardly wait until we get a day above freezing. Maybe then I can venture out.

Gail Travis said...

I have never wanted to visit New York City but am really enjoying your pictures. There's nothing like armchair travel.

Martha said...

You've done a fantastic job overall - go you! I'm doing my 30 day challenges this year but I'll pick a month to join you along the way and will keep in mind the 1000 miles for next year! :)

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Congrats on achieveing your past goals, Carol, and good luck on making that goal (or better) in 2021 as wel. We had our 1st vaccine over the weekend and the 2nd comes in mid-March. Like yourself, we will continue to wear masks except when outdoors with no one nearby because it's then a relief to be unmasked.l