Powered by Blogger.

The Gas Line Saga: Even Bleak House Came to an End

 

Just cooked: a cheese omelet, sixteen months in the waiting 

At approximately 12:50 my super and two of the many work people I've met in the last sixteen months arrived at my apartment. The work men reconnected a hose and for the first time in 2020 turned on all four burners of my stove. Last night I had anxiety that when the stove was reconnected, something would be wrong and I would still be without a working stove. That was just anxiety and after I washed my hands and said a quick prayer of thanksgiving, I proceeded to make an omelet. It was nothing fancy, but I was so glad to be able to easily cook one of my favorite lunches and a previous mainstay of my diet. 

My super joked that I had probably forgotten how to cook and though I've done a lot of cooking in the last year, I had forgotten some of the timing for an omelet. I'm sure by the end of the week any lost skills will be returned. Next project: saute a few onions to have on hand. I've added butter to this week's grocery delivery because I predict baking in the near future. 

The Gas Line Saga began with my first post on July 30, 2019. I noted that the project would take "many months," but never dreamed that it would take almost a year and a half. Of course, if not for the Pandemic it would have been finished months earlier and for some of that time I would have been out of town. So instead of the project being finished in less than a year, it went on and on and on because it's 2020.

I chose Bleak House for the title because it's Charles Dickens' longest novel. But even a Dickens novel of enormous length comes to a conclusion and happily this is the last page in the last chapter of the Gas Line Saga. Thank you all who were avid readers and who lent your encouragement and prayers at every turn of the plot.   

As ever, thanks for visiting and take good care. 


20 comments

acorn hollow said...

oh my what a long wait! So glad you are up and running again.
Cathy

Ginny Hartzler said...

HURRAH!! An early Christmas gift! What with Covid getting worse now, I had wondered if they would even finish this year! The omelet looks good, and it WAS a bleak house without a stove in the winter!

Nellie said...

Oh, yay! Finally the stove is working! Just in time for baking goodies, though I love a cheese omelet!

Lonni said...


Omelette looks delicious! So happy for you and glad Bleak House is finished!! Lol

Deb J. in Utah said...

Yea for having a working stove! Great news! Can't wait to see what you will be baking. Glad you can call for year and a half without a stove just one more adventure for the book of life. Have a delicious dinner and a great hot breakfast tomorrow! I got your lovely card today it is has made a lovely addition to our Christmas card door! I will post a picture on my blog soon!

Mevely317 said...

That's a great analogy! Omelets are a favorite here, but I'd much rather prepare them over a gas flame. Woot ... Let the baking begin!

GrammaH said...

Hurrah! for the working stove! Looking forward for seeing some baking that comes from that butter.

Olde Dame Holly said...

Hip hip hooray! May the reconnected stove bring you a smile each time you see it!

Theresa said...

I am doing a HAPPY DANCE that you finally got your gas back!!!! That is wonderful news, enjoy and bake something yummy! Enjoy your day dear friend, HUGS!

Janie Junebug said...

Hallelujah!

Love,
Janie

Edna B said...

Woo Hoo! I'll bet that omelet tasted just awesome! I'm so happy for you that you can cook on your stove now. Happy baking! Hugs, Edna B.

Lynda said...

No matter what other gifts you receive this month, my guess is none will be as great as this!!!! so very very thrilled for you!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Hurrah ! Finally! Your omelet looks wonderful! Enjoy cooking all your favorites in the days ahead and just in time for Christmas too! I can just imagine all the good smells coming from your kitchen. Enjoy!

Deanna Rabe said...

Wonderful news! So thankful!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Congrats on being able to use your stove again, Carol. Omelets are a favorite here too and after seeing this photo I was tempted to cook one myself, but had just finished a bowl of oatmeal...maybe tomorrow a.m. And, yes, that was a very long time to have waited but as you noted there were many extenuating circumstances this year.

Julie's Creative Lifestyle said...

Yay! I'm glad that is over for you Carol! What a long time to wait and glad you made one of your favorite lunches. :)

Susie said...

Buttercup, I had forgotten about you not have gas. I knew when they started and I just assumed it was done by now. It will be wonderful to have our kitchen back. I knew you had bought some small appliances to use to cook. Blessings to you, xoxo, Susie
p.s. You can bake now. :)

Fun60 said...

Not sure how I would have coped with your situation. Enjoy cooking all your favourite dishes once again.

Lowcarb team member said...

Goodness me I think you coped with it all, very well.
The cheese omelet looks delicious.

All the best Jan

Little Wandering Wren said...

Yay for that omelette, so glad the saga is finally over :)
Eggs every day now?
Wren x