Powered by Blogger.

It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas: The Most Beautiful Christmas Tree in New York City

 

The Christmas tree and Neapolitan Baroque Creche at the Metropolitan Museum of Art

I have two "must-dos" in New York at this time of the year. One is a visit to Rockefeller Center, which is still on my to-do list this year. My other must is a visit to the Metropolitan Museum and a visit to this beautiful tree and the magnificent figures surrounding it. The creche figures are Eighteenth Century depictions of life in Naples at the time they were created. 

The Holy Family surrounded by townspeople and angels 

Every other year I've made my visit to see the tree it's in a different area of the museum and surrounded by medieval statuary. The lights are dim and the scene is almost otherworldly. 

The 2019 setting for the tree

I miss the previous setting, but so grateful that the museum is open and I can continue my annual tradition of enjoying the tree. Last year there were many visitors to the tree, but this year (and at 11:00 a.m. on a Monday morning) there were no more than a dozen people in the vast room where the tree is located. 

At the far end of the Sculpture Court where the tree is residing this year is a snow covered Central Park and this historic obelisk. 

Tomorrow we're doing a cooking/baking day and I can't begin to tell you the thrill it gives me to be able to write this. We'll feature a video about making cocoa bombs and the recipe for an amazing French gingerbread. As a taste of holiday baking and cooking I'm including a link to a recipe for chocolate peppermint cookies, created by Bill Telepan, the Museum's Chef and Culinary Director.  

As ever, thanks for visiting and take good care. Wishes for cozy days!

14 comments

Terra said...

I would like to see that extraordinary tree and the scenes of Italian life and the Nativity in person, and I would spend an hour just taking it all in. Thanks for the post, and enjoy your baking. I am baking cookies tomorrow, we have the same baking idea.

Ginny Hartzler said...

The first tree is my favorite, it is just exquisite! I have never seen one like it! OH, I tried to by those bombs for Christmas presents, but they were sold out everywhere.

Rustic Pumpkin said...

What an extraordinary tree indeed. I have never seen the like of such a design, and it must be such an amazing experience to see it in person. Season's Greetings!

Theresa said...

OH MY, the beauty! That is one gorgeous tree! Have a blessed day dear friend, HUGS!

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

Magnificent and thank you so much for showing this to us. I would love to see this tree in person. Maybe that can happen next year.

Chocolate Bombs are all the rage this year. My DIL gave me one and it was a delightful gift. She has been busy making more this week so there might be another one for me this week.

Happy Holidays, Carol.

Deanna Rabe said...

I bet it’s magnificent in person! So glad you were able to see it this year!

Jeanie said...

More than just the most beautiful tree in NYC -- one of the most beautiful anywhere, I suspect. All joy for lovely holidays.

Karen said...

The tree is magnificent. I have a Christmas card with a photograph of it, but your pictures show so much more detail. I'd love to see it in person one day.

Susie said...

Carol, I truly love seeing all the wonderful things you get to see. There's so much to enjoy. Please be safe always. Blessings for a really fun time this year. xoxo, Susie

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

That tree is absolutely beautiful. You are blessed to be able to see it. Looks like you still have a lot of snow there. Take care and be safe! Looking forward to hearing about your baking adventures

Edna B said...

Wow, that tree is simply gorgeous! I'd love to see it in person. You have a wonderful day, hugs, Edna B.

Deb J. in Utah said...

So glad you will be able to do some baking! I love that Christmas tree. Thanks for sharing the pictures. Have a great day!

Chatty Crone said...

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!♥♥♥
Sandie

Olde Dame Holly said...

Not only are the tree and Nativity figurines breathtaking, but the curved wood base is astounding.