Powered by Blogger.

Santa Came Early

It won't be Chanukah or Christmas for weeks...

But today I got one of the things I've been hoping for, the first step in restoring my living room and bedroom walls. It doesn't look especially pretty yet, but tomorrow the walls get plastered and on Thursday, painting is planned. I'm going to the paint store tomorrow to get the paint and on Friday I will start unpacking boxes of books. 

On the right you can see the edge of my mantel. One of my book cases was moved in front of the fireplace in July when the construction took place. I'd hoped to have the mantel back in time to display my holiday cards in the usual place. Happily, that will be possible. 

There are still several steps that need to take place before the gas is turned back on, including an inspection of the valves by Con Edison. But this construction step is huge and I am delighted that by Friday I will begin to have a cozier apartment. I've been selling (yay, Ebay!) and giving away books for the last four months and I'm hoping that I've made a dent in de-accessioning my books. My book collection was getting totally out of control and the need to box up a lot of it  has been the impetus to reign it in. 


I don't really need another small appliance, but this is irresistible. 

I was poking around Bed, Bath and Beyond this afternoon and came upon new Dash mini-appliances. I was disappointed with the mini ice cream maker, but the mini waffle maker has been a mainstay while I've been without a stove. I've shown good restraint about going wild with small appliances, but I think I really need this, especially with my 20% coupon. They also make a mini Bundt cake maker and that was very tempting, too. 

The construction and painting had been scheduled for Friday and next week, so I've rearranged things I had planned for this week. Between the dust (especially with plaster today) and the virus, it's best that I'm not home while the workmen are here. We all wear masks, but I'm more at ease being out of the apartment. I hopped the bus for an excursion today and I'll share my pictures in tomorrow's  post. 

As ever, thanks for visiting and take good care.  

 

10 comments

Ginny Hartzler said...

Hurrah, finally!! You may get a laugh out of this. Before reading your text, I stared at the picture for awhile. Thinking it was some kind of unusual art hanging on the wall. YES, it will be a lot safer if you are not there. I love my Dash mini waffle maker, and am going straight to amazon now to look up this pie maker!

Deb J. in Utah said...

Such great news! I hope things go smoothly with the plastering and painting. I know the feeling of having more books than I have room for! I live in that world too. I hope you will share picture of your finished living room with all your books. That little pie maker looks perfect! I may have to look for one of those. Have a great Wednesday.

Martha said...

So glad things are getting done! I know what you mean about the books and I even have a book shop on Instagram. I use the excuse that it's my inventory but half the books I have a mine - just irresistible!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

thankfully things are finally improving for you there. Yes, best to keep out of the way. Hope you have a lovely day. I'm going to get out and do some shopping myself. The sun is shinning making it a great day to get out!

Chatty Crone said...

At first I thought it was art too - lol. Thankfully and hopefully it will be done soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edna B said...

What great news! At least now things will hopefully be back to normal in time for the Holidays. I agree, you might not want to be there while the work is being done. You have a super day, hugs, Edna B.

kestrel said...

Thank goodness you explained the first pix, I was staring at it from a few angles to figure out this abstract master piece. You know, some exhibited abstract art pieces look like your knock out wall and they sell for thousands of dollars. And the artists spin some wonderful stories of their creative art. Love the pie maker, hope to find one here as i love pies but only the savory ones, not the desserts

Theresa said...

Yeah!!! You are almost done! I look forward to seeing your mantel decorated with cards. Enjoy your day dear friend. Hugs

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Glad to see and read that the end if nearing with this project and in time for you to celebrate. Like you, I always enjoy putting cards out on the doors and walls and will soon be starting my holiday cards. That said, I would be happy to send one for your mantel if you send your name and address to my email which is listed on my blog. This season especially, my card list has grown because cheer and kind words are more needed now than before. Looking forward to reading about your outing.

A Bit of the Blarney said...

Wishing you well and that by Thankssgiving all will be well again! Have a grand weekend nonetheless!