Powered by Blogger.

Welcome to Central Park


Please join me in Central Park 

The very closest park to where I live is Riverside Park -- just a block away to the west -- and it's a frequent walking destination. But when I get a little more energy I walk up the hill -- four long blocks -- to Central Park. They are both beautiful urban oases, but Riverside is very much a park for the neighborhood and not a destination for all of New York City. We'll be visiting Riverside in the week ahead, and for today we're spending our day at Central  Park. 

You may have seen photographs of Central Park recently and the park probably looked much more crowded. I stayed on the very edge of the park near one of the entrances and it was blissfully empty, even in the midst of many people visiting the park for fresh air. 

Central Park was the first landscaped public park in the United States. There were already landscaped parks in Paris and London and New York City had advocates for establishing a similar setting in Manhattan. The location was debated and ultimately  700 acres were taken by eminent domain. The area is filled with rocky outcroppings which create a great landscape, but were unsuitable for commercial development. These were not empty acres, but rather the home of 1,600 people. These residents included Seneca Village, a settlement of African-American landowners that dated from 1825. The photograph above is literally the site of Seneca Village, which went from what is now West 82nd St. to West 89th St. 

In 1857 Calvert Vaux and Frederick Law Olmstead were selected to design what would become Central Park. It was a massive public works project with over 20,000 workers, including stone cutters, engineers and laborers reshaping the area's topography to create the pastoral landscape. More gunpowder was blasted in the building of Central Park than at the Battle of Gettysburg in 1863. This was followed by workers bringing in three million cubic yards of soil and planting over 270,000 trees and shrubs. In 1859 this urban masterpiece was opened and by 1865 the park received over seven million visitors a year. What a legacy to New York City and to the world! 

What a legacy to New York City and to the world! I've always appreciated the beauty and proximity of Central Park, but these most recent days have made me even more appreciative. 

It's been cool here, but we've had beautiful sunny days. Flowers are in bloom and we're having a glorious spring. 

As ever, thanks for  visiting and take good care. Much love and wash your hands!


13 comments

Chatty Crone said...

Yes no matter where you are from - it seems everyone knows Central Park!

Dorothy In PA said...

What a lovely photograph. Thanks for the information about Seneca Village. I didn't know about that.

Ginny Hartzler said...

I didn't know any of this. I clicked on your link to Seneca Village, but wonder what happened to the community after they had to leave. What a beautiful picture this is, I hope you will be posting more at times!

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

Central Park is the magic of NYC.

Louca por porcelana said...

Thank you for this fabulous virtual tour and good information!I visited the Central Park in 1996,a long time ago.Travelling to New York once again,now with my sons,is in my bucket list!Hugs.

Mevely317 said...

Fascinating history! Two of the enduring items on my Bucket List are to take a carriage ride through the park, then lunch at Tavern on the Green. Have you been there?

Latane Barton said...

I love Central Park! My daughter used to live near Riverside Park on the westside of NY and it was the most fun walking to the parks and around the neighborhood. I miss that. She lives in Rye now.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

You are blessed to have a park close to home and to be able to weak to central park too. Having a green space in the city is important.I'm glad they set aside the acreage so people could enjoy nature. It has been unusually cool here but today begins a warm up for us and by the weekend we should be in the 70's. I'm so happy we finally got some nice weather to enjoy. Hope it warms up some for you too.

Pam said...

Interesting post! Central Park was quite an undertaking back in the day! I did not know that it was the first landscaped public park in the US. And it's still beautiful to this day, with all the trees, shrubs and flowers. A great legacy indeed! Cool and storming here now but warm weather is on the way. Woo hoo! Take care

Emma Springfield said...

I have never been to New York City. I often hear people talk about Central Park and how pretty and peaceful it is.

Kerin said...

What an undertaking! Imagine all the workers to make the park so beautiful.
Thanks for the info, and picture.

Smiles :)
~K.

Laurel Wood said...

So very interesting and beautiful photos. Would love to visit! Have a great weekend. xoxo Mildred

Laurel Wood said...

I would also enjoy visiting the parks that you frequent. I've seen them so many times in print or on tv and am mesmerized by their beauty. Thankful you know how to visit without being in congested areas.