Powered by Blogger.

Dreaming of Barcelona


Let's get our groceries at the Mercat Santa Caterina

If 2020 hadn't taken the oddest twists and turns imaginable I would have just spent four days in Barcelona. In March 2019 my high school buddy Susan and I were both recovering from surgery. We got to talking about the vacations we would take one day and in the course of the conversation(s) we booked a Transatlantic cruise from Miami to Barcelona. The trip included a week at sea, which we both looked forward to, and stops in the Azores, Morocco and Southern Spain. I spent three days in Barcelona as part of a sixtieth birthday trip and I was looking forward to spending time there again as my seventieth birthday approached. 

We had a list of things we wanted to see and we were just about to book our excursions when it was becoming clear that cruises wouldn't be sailing this spring. Our plans were mostly places I hadn't visited on my trip in 2010. But one place I wanted to return to was the fabulous food market, Santa Catarina. Originally built in 1845 on the site of the Convent of Santa Catarina, it was beautifully renovated in 2005. 

I'd love to choose dinner delicacies from this assortment

For many of us one of our main activities for the last few months has been food shopping and I thought it would be fun to have a change of place in one of my favorite markets anywhere. 

I wouldn't know where to begin here. Everything looks delicious.

What would be your choice?
I had a yummy pear for dessert tonight, so I will probably go with grapes. 

It's been fun to dream of grocery shopping in Barcelona and more fun that all of Buttercupland was able to join me. Tell me what's been fun where you are. Maybe it's a book you're enjoying, a new television show or perhaps, an armchair trip.

As ever, thanks for visiting and take good care. Much love and wash your hands. 

13 comments

Biomaster said...

I'm not the one shopping here, but did go on line last night to King Arthur to order flour and some scone mixes. I remember the fantastic markets my mom and I visited in South America, both in Peru and Ecuador.

Theresa said...

What a beautiful display! I would love to shop there for sure:) I see lots of things to add to my basket! Enjoy your day dear friend, I know you will make it there again when Covid-19 clears out of here! HUGS!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

The fruits and veggies do look so appetizing! I've never seen a market like that. I'm reading and good mystery series set in Calcutta....in the 1920s. It's so well written it transports you there. It's by Abir Mukherjee. Have a good day!

Chatty Crone said...

How beautiful - you must have had a wonderful time - I would love to go - I hope the people are doing better over there.

Melinda said...

So pretty!

Everything looked so fresh.

Have a great Friday!

M : )

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I've definitely been enjoying arm chair trips with you. I haven't even been out grocery shopping as my kids have been shopping for me. I'm really getting spoiled though and enjoyed deliveries right to my door. A NICE juicey orange sounds like it would do the trick for me today. Thanks for sharing Barcelona with us. I would be a lovely trip to make.

Lowcarb team member said...

Oh the fruits and vegetables look so good and what a choice …

All the best Jan

Judy at GoldCountryCottage said...

I'm sorry you had to miss your vacation. That sound like it would have been wonderful. My grandson was in Spain two years ago as his girlfriend was going to school over there. He loved it but I'm sure glad it was then and not now..Take care and stay well..xxoJudy

LC said...

What a bounty of choices. I think I will go for fresh pineapple and share with like minded fellow travelers.

Lovely trip via blogging!

Dorothy In PA said...

Thank you for taking us on your virtual vacation. I will share grapes with you.

I am a doll collector and I have been looking at dolls online and catching up on doll magazines I haven't had a chance to read. That's how I have been spending my days.

Kerin said...

That is a fabulous market!

Around here, I've been working in the yard, planting and cultivating new beds and working on getting our veg garden in for the summer.

Smiles :)
~K.

TARYTERRE said...

love the marketplace. looks like a wonderful place to visit. thanks for taking us there.

Laurel Wood said...

I'm sorry your plans were put on hold. That would have been an awesome trip. Oh, I would love to visit there. I dearly love pears as a treat!