Powered by Blogger.

Thoughtful Spending February

$19.24

I've morphed from No-Spending January to Thoughtful Spending February and so far I'm pleased with the results. Until this afternoon my only spending for "things" in February was $3.99 for organizers for the bathroom. But I started to have a list of "needs," and decided to see if I could visit Dollar General and not go wild. How thoughtful would I be? 

My list of "needs" was comprised of toilet paper, gum and greeting cards. I figured I would add sugarless candy if I found a variety I liked. My estimated spending for this visit was eight to ten dollars. 

I explored a different branch than I usually shop at and happily found it closer to home and much less crowded. The card selection was extensive and well stocked. I bought a dozen assorted birthday, get well, sympathy and Easter cards. I found gum, sugarless toffee candy -- not easy to find -- and toilet paper. I added the two packets of tuna fish -- $2.49 each in my neighborhood -- cheese and the vanilla coffee I received in my Valentine package. I've really come to like it and I was happy to find it. The food purchases were $7.00.

I added two packages of padded mailers -- always useful to have on hand -- and no regrets here. The only purchase I can describe as not-so-thoughtful are the Coffee Time oven mitt and dish towel. If it had been January I would have headed directly to the checkout counter without those two items. But it's February and I'm really enjoying using my Coffee Time dish towel. 

My biggest regret is the cheese. I didn't look at the package very carefully and I found tonight that it's a bad sign when the notice on the bag says, "This product is not formulated to melt." My lesson in thoughtfulness for February is to read the label before I put the product in my shopping cart. 

My next challenge comes next week. I will be on a vacation in a great shopping destination. I've been there several times before and probably bought the usual tourist purchases, but that's never stopped me in the past. There are a few gifts I'd like to choose, but I'm keeping my spending budget for splurges for me to  $25.00. I will report on my success in March. 

Is anyone else No-Spending or Thoughtful-Spending? Any tips or lessons you'd like to share?

As ever, thanks for visiting. Take care and have a great weekend!

13 comments

Chatty Crone said...

I need to always be careful and thoughtful for what I buy.
I have never seen cheese geared to not melt - how do they do that????

Ginny Hartzler said...

I really like the mitt and dish towel! In fact, I will look for them when I go to the Dollar Store tomorrow. Everything there is so cheap that it is very easy to go overboard. But it is so much fun doing it!

Carol said...

Those look like great purchases! I am impressed with your budgeting and I do some of the same. I am fully aware of the items that are a good buy at our local Dollar Tree and Dollar General and I purchase those when I am there.
I have found an Amish owned grocery store near my daughter and I was able to go there while staying with her this week. I purchased almost all of the items on my shopping food list for less than $40 and included plenty of snacks for my grand doll.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

It's always good to read the labels. 've bought things that were already over their expiration date before, only to see it when I got home.

Susie said...

I think you did well on your trip...usually getting out of the dollar store under 20 is good. Especially buying cards too. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

Linda @ Life and Linda said...

Great budgeting. I love the dollar stores. I found that the dollar general has some unique items. I know most of us are all guilty of not reading labels. A wonderful haul of items you purchased. I am glad my pool post got you to dream of summer. I know many are experiencing some cold temps. Happy weekend.

Rose said...

Isn't Dollar General a great place to get greeting cards. I would like to take time and go there and get about a dozen or so. Just to have on hand.

Linda said...

Gosh, I splurged yesterday and bought a spring wreath for the main front door (since we share a house with our landlady and have separate entrances/doors, I say main front door). It was expensive at nearly $15. I'll have to take a photo of it once I hang it up, which I haven't, as the St. Patrick's Day clover is on the door now. LOL

Mevely317 said...

Thanks to another blogger friend, I recently discovered the joy in shopping at the Dollar store. I buy my toothbrushes several at a time and switch out the first of every month. Today I'm trying out their laundry detergent -- Terri swears it's just as good as the big brand names.

Theresa said...

Good for you in both months. I haven’t been too bad but didn’t keep up with it. I spend a lot of money at the grocery store. Enjoy your evening dear friend. Hugs.

Margie said...

I also like get my cards from the dollar stores.

My "no spending on new teas" lasted 39 days. I think I'll be more successful with thoughtful spending on teas.

Thank you for the visit!

TARYTERRE said...

souns like your plan is working and you're doing a great job staying within your boundaries. congratulations. my hubby swears by the Dollar Store. he loves it. i'm going to have to go there and check out the cards. i just ending up buying $50 worth of cards somewhere else and didn't get all that many. most costing 5 and 8 dollars a piece. can't afford to do that it's ridiculous. enjoy your vacay.

obscure said...

There is a Dollar General in NYC? How did I not know this?