Powered by Blogger.

Next Stop, Central Park West

It's an underground aquarium at the subway stop for the American Museum of Natural History 

In April 2018 I did an A to Z series on New York City subways. I only got to "R" for Rector Street, but even if I had completed all 26 letters of the alphabet, it wouldn't have begun to cover all of the 472 subway stations in the city. I've enjoyed writing about bagels and cookies and assorted New York City goodies and that prompted me to add posts about some of the most popular sites for visitors to New York City. A spur of the moment visit by my sweet cousin Hillary and her friend, Chris, brought me to the stop for the American Museum of Natural History at 81st Street and Central Park West last week. I haven't been to this stop in quite awhile and I loved seeing the beautiful tile work. 

A different view of the station and the beautiful tile work

My view coming out of the station. This the area where the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade begins. Central Park is on the right side of the photograph. 

The American Museum of Natural History

I don't get to the museum very often lately, but I worked there from 1976-1978. It was definitely one of the best work experiences imaginable. I often worked late and one of my favorite memories was leaving when the museum was closed to the public. I never noticed any of the exhibits coming alive, but it definitely had the feel of "Night at the Museum." If you're planning a visit to New York City, especially if you're bringing children, schedule a visit. I think it's time I made a return trip, too. The Blue Whale is calling me. 

It wasn't an too-busy week, but it's just zipped by. Movie, Yoga, time with friends, Weight Watchers and lots of little errands. I'm still keeping track of spending and will be doing an update of Thoughtful Spending February tomorrow. How was your week?

As ever, thanks for visiting and take good care. 

9 comments

Ginny Hartzler said...

This is awesome! New York seems to have so many hidden treasures, and I am glad you are showing us!

NanaDiana said...

One thing about NYC. There is never a lack of something to do--and no reason to ever be bored. Great pictures. xo Diana

Theresa said...

I am always jealous that you see these sights daily, but happy that you share the pictures! I am coming some day, yes I am and the museum will most definitely be on my list to visit! Enjoy your day dear friend, HUGS!

Lynda said...

That is so beautiful for a subway stop!!! Beauty underground.

Linda said...

My minor will be in Museum Studies, I would loveeeeeee to work in a museum. Actually, I do on Friday evenings, but its a small museum that hosts train memorabilia. NYC seems so fun and interesting, smiles.

Julie's Creative Lifestyle said...

The mural in the subway is so beautiful. I haven't been to that museum in a long time. I love going to the Met. Hope you have a nice weekend.

Deanna Rabe said...

Looks like a beautiful day! We had quite a few sunny days this week which is so nice! Happy weekend!

Curtains in My Tree said...

I am so glad I'm taking time again to read blogs I love and your's is one of them I love all your New York adventures and things you post about. I love the theater district and the new York foods, like the bagels and mentioning the french restaurant and I would love to have a chocolate meringues, yum

I hope to get back to New York this year for the Museums and of course a Broadway show

TARYTERRE said...

looks like a trip to the American Museum of Natural History might be a fun way to spend an afternoon. love the tiles. just beautiful.