Powered by Blogger.

The Love of Cake is the Mother of (Some) Invention

My new oven (sort of)...

If someone had told me on July 29, 2019 -- the day before my building lost its gas service -- that 175 days later I would be baking a cake in my decades old crockpot, I would have looked at them in complete amazement. Not unlike most people I knew I  took my working stove completely for granted. Little did I dream when I went to bed on July 29 that my stove would soon become an expensive pot storage unit and I would not have cooked or baked with it for over five months. 

But my building is still waiting for the gas to be turned back on. I'm not exactly sure what all of the issues are, but like so many things that  depend on infinite paperwork, it is a slow process. As I've related before I've been able to get by with a multitude of small appliances. It's been (barely) adequate, but I've missed baking. Nothing seemed to take the place of an oven for baking. 

Several years ago I took up low carb baking. The options for buying sugarless baked goods, especially with a low carb baking blend are few. I realized that if I wanted cake or cookies I needed to start baking and I did. I found a lot of options and experimented with my own recipes. Some were successful and some less so, but they worked for me. However, satisfying my sweet tooth needed an oven, or so I thought. 

I'm not sure how I decided that I could bake in my crock pot. But on a cold and snowy Saturday, sniffling and coughing, the idea came to me. I googled crockpot cakes and there was a treasure trove of recipes. The recipes seemed to call for flour and sugar, which wasn't part of my baking, but I realized I could use a variation of  the Weight Watchers two ingredient dough -- self-rising flour and yogurt -- and "bake" it in the crockpot. I used my THM low carb baking blend, baking powder, Swerve brown sugar, an egg and yogurt. I know that baking is supposed to be a precise formula, but through my experiments I've learned that I can vary the ingredients and still have a good outcome. 

   My (third) crockpot cake

I still have to perfect getting it out of the crockpot, but please note the cake consistency, and yes, those are cake crumbs. In this morning's variation I used Kodiak protein pancake mix in place of the flour, cocoa powder and swerve for sweetener. It was fine, but I didn't factor in the bitterness of the cocoa powder and needed to add more sweetener. My favorite so far has been the lemon "cake" I made yesterday. I used sugar-free lemon pudding mix (half a box) and it was sweet and light. The outside "bakes" more quickly than the inside -- not unlike the oven. 

I doubt if I will be asked to participate in The Great British Bake Off, or any other competition, but I'm still as happy as I can be. To (somewhat) paraphrase Marie Antoinette, "Let me eat homemade cake." 

Thanks for reading through my baking saga. If anyone else has any tips for baking in a crockpot or  other small appliances, please share. I've just stocked up on yogurt and I'm eager to bake.

As ever, thanks for visiting and take good care!  

11 comments

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Oh no, Carol! I can't believe you have been without gas service for your range and oven for so long! So unacceptable.
Your crock pot cakes sound good. I've also heard that instant pots can also make cakes and cheesecakes.
I hope your building's gas can be turned back on safely soon!

Deb J. in Utah said...

I had never heard of baking a cake in a crock pot until I read this post. Keep trying and experimenting. You'll get it right! I am curious how you get heat in your building without gas service and why was the gas shut off? I admire your patience for being without a stove for so long.

Ginny Hartzler said...

Wow, you are really inventive! You would have been a good pioneer woman. I can hardly believe you have no gas still! I sure hope you do not have gas heat, in this freezing weather. I think there is no excuse for it being off this long.

Sandi said...

Hmm...you have inspired me. I may try a crockpot cake today!

Elaine Sipos said...

I would be up in arms over this building fiasco! You adapt well, lol!

Theresa said...

Oh dear, that's a long time without the oven. You are making the most of it and using the crock pot is a great way to cook. I have never tried to make a cake in mine. Looks yummy to me. Enjoy your day dear friend, HUGS!

Anonymous said...

So inventive!! Try getting crock pot liners to in before putting the cake batter in. Once done you can just lift the liner one, and pull the cake out. And
You don’t have to clean out the crock pot. Easy peasy!

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

Where there is a will, there is a way. Good for you for finding it.

Deanna Rabe said...

That's very clever Carol!

I cannot believe that you still don't have gas to your building! I know bureaucracy moves at a snails pace but you live in NYC for goodness sakes, not a third world country! I guess I am just speaking as a spoiled first world person.

You've handled this well, with patience, and creativity! Good for you!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

They do sy that necessity is the mother of invention and you have done a great job of getting your cane and eating it too. I've never tried making a crock pot cake but have tried the cake in a cup in the microwave, maybe you should try that out while your at it. Not too bad and there are a lot of recipes to pursue. I had thought that you got your gas back and can hardly believe you are still with it. Hope you get it back soon.

Julie's Creative Lifestyle said...

I still can't believe that you and the building have gone this long without gas. I love that you are making cakes in the crock pot. I love my crock pot and use it a lot but I've never baked in it. I do hope that the gas will be restored soon for your and everyone in the building.