Powered by Blogger.

(Semi) Wordless Wednesday Yellow Taxis

Iconic yellow cabs on a rainy winter day

I like the concept of Wordless Wednesday, but it's hard for me to put it in practice. It doesn't seem like a blog post without a few dozen words at least. This Wednesday was a very sunny winter day, but a few weeks ago I was happy for a bus stop shelter in the rain. 

Thank you all for your comments and thoughts about my crockpot cooking. I'm going to use parchment paper on my next attempt and I'm optimistic I will have better results getting my cake out of the cooker. I've been looking through crockpot recipes and there's an apple cobbler that's next on my list for adaptation. In addition to fresh apples, it calls for brown sugar, a box of cake mix and a stick of butter. I'm sure it's delicious, but not as Weight Watchers friendly as I'd like.  

To respond to the question(s), "Why is it taking so long?" I am sure the proper authorities are being prudent after two gas explosions in the last few years. However, not to disparage any government agency -- I've worked for several -- but things run slow and there are a number of desks this needs to be shuffled around.

I've had two more good No-Spending days that were also no-snack days. I'm still not feeling 100%. I did get to Weight Watchers today, but I went home after a quick trip to Trader Joe's, skipping lunch with friends. Yesterday I stopped by the Vitamin Shop for a protein bar and switched from my usual Quest bar to a brand that was on sale. I bought two of the sale brand for $1.12 total, instead of $2.49 for the Quest bar. The difference in flavor was minimal and my savings were $1.37. My savings for yesterday and today: $21.37.
My No-Spending January total: $136.16

This has post has turned out to be a lot less wordless than I thought it would be, but I'm glad to update on two major Buttercupland topics, the Gas Line Saga and No-Spending January. 

As ever, thanks for visiting and keep cozy!

13 comments

Deb J. in Utah said...

I really enjoy hearing about your life in New York City. I love the picture of the yellow taxis. Glad you had some sunshine today. We had a gray, cloudy and rainy day here - which is just fine for January. I will look forward to future posts about crock pot cake as you hone your crock pot baking skills!

Ginny Hartzler said...

Actual New York yellow taxis! Are they hard to spot, or are there many driving around? Your spending is doing so good!!

Natalia said...

I hope I will visit NY one day! Have a lovely day☺

Sam I Am...... said...

I grew up in Chicago back in the day and Yellow Cabs have changed quite a bit since then! LOL! I need to look into your no spending...sounds interesting. I don't have to worry much around here as there is no shopping! Just a Walmart and a couple Dollar stores. Slim pickin's for spending money.

Chatty Crone said...

Here where I live - there are no yellow cabs - and any color of cabs are rare - I am sure there are a few more in the city but not like NYC.
You are doing great on your savings plan.
I am trying but not as good as you.
Sandie

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

I love that picture of the yellow cabs. I wonder if we will see any in the years to come. I had to go into Philly last week and used Uber which was so quick and easy. I did not see any cabs at all.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Seeing those yellow cabs brought back memories of the days when I would catch the bus from my NJ home and go to NYC to see a play. I would stand at the discount ticket booth and watch the city all around as I waited in the sometimes lengthy line. I have never tried backing in any the crockpots we’ve owned. When you try that apple cobbler recipe, please share the results. Sorry the cake effort didn’t turn out as expected.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I agree, pictures say a lot but words say more. Glad you added a few words to your post and hope things go well for you with your cooking.

Theresa said...

Hope the gas will be flowing again soon! You are doing a great job cutting your spending for January. Keep up the good work. Have a blessed day dear friend, it's a rainy one here! HUGS!

Kim said...

Congrats on your savings success. It all adds up, doesn't it?

DeniseinVA said...

That's a great image Buttercup! Great savings too! Hope you get your gas back soon. Reading about your cake below, I have a recipe I have been thinking of making in my crockpot, and thought you might like to give it a try. You can probably use another fruit if you don't like cherry pie filling.

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/minister-s-delight/

Sue said...

Congratulations on all of your savings this month, Buttercup, it has been a little difficult for us with dh being in the hospital.
I have always enjoyed the Quest bars, but will look for cheaper ones at the Vitamin Shoppe. Wow being able to bake a cake in a crock pot sounds awesome, I use my crockpot a lot.
Hope the gas issues is resolved, I agree the gov. is slow but usually gets things straightened out.
Thank you for your kind thoughts and prayers, we will be going home today, please keep us in your prayers.

I like the yellow cabs, they are so easy to spot, ~smile~ I once had a yellow VW beetle, this color, and it was so visible.~wink~
have a great day.
Sue

Linda said...

Regardless (or is irregardless?) of it being a "Wordless" --I still enjoyed the post. Have a great weekend, friend.

P.S. You can always spray the crockpot with PAM, smiles.