Powered by Blogger.

Pink Saturday: Icons of Christmas in New York

It's Christmas time in the city...
 
I found myself one block from this scene at Sixth Avenue tonight and realized it was a perfect night -- clear and not cold -- to brave the crowds and try and see the tree at Rockefeller Center. Actually I think everyone in New York City had the same idea. It was crowded, but I enjoyed the lights and decorations. This is one of my favorite spots every year. It's at Sixth Avenue and 50th Street and Radio City Music Hall and the NBC Studios are across the street. I included this visitor wearing a pink jacket in homage to Pink Saturday.
 

I made half a turn and there was Radio City Music Hall decorated for the season.
 
My next stop was braving the crowd and walking one block to Rockefeller Center to see the tree. By the time I reached the tree it was close to gridlock on the sidewalk. I did get this photograph of the Christmas tree at Rockefeller Center. 
 
The ice rink is to the right. The crowd was too dense to make my way over to
take photographs of the skaters. Alas, that will have to wait for another time.  
 
In the interest of accuracy, I took one more photograph of what viewing
the tree actually looked like. 

 
Why is my new unicorn friend part of a post about icons of Christmas in New York?
 
If you look very carefully at the top right corner of the photograph you will see the unicorn's address, one of the great icons of New York City, F.A.O. Schwarz. The legendary toy store that stood at Fifth Avenue and Fifty-Eighth Street for decades returned last month to its new site in Rockefeller Center. Even at 9:30 on this Saturday night it was crowded, but I will definitely return on a quieter day this winter for a tour and photographs.
 
I hope you've enjoyed our evening in Rockefeller Center and our visit to some of the icons of Christmas in New York City. This holiday season seems to have flown by more quickly than anyone others I can remember. The days are just racing by. Does anyone else feel the same way?
 
As ever, thanks for visiting and have a cozy Sunday! 
   

10 comments

Terra said...

Thanks for taking us on this fun visit; that first photo and the ones of the tree are fabulous.

TARYTERRE said...

i enjoyed this wonderful tour. love the tree. and yes the days are slipping past very fast indeed.

Crystal Grandeur said...


your post gives a feel as if i visited the place. lovely images. Merry Christmas to you all the way from India. :)))

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Thank you for braving the crowds. It ia a beautiful sight to see Rockefeller Center and the unicorn too. It's been mild here with no sight of snow for Christmas, yet anyway.

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed your great post today......thank you!
Phyllis

Lynda said...

Gorgeous decorations! NYC always knows how to dress for the holidays !!!

Julie's Creative Lifestyle said...

I always love seeing the Christmas tree during the holidays. You got some really great shots of the tree. It was so crowded with so many people to view the tree! :)

Kerin said...

Great pictures!
So many of your pictures would make lovely postcards :)

Have a wonderful week, and enjoy this season.

~K.

Louca por porcelana said...

Stunning pics!

Pam said...

Beautiful, beautiful photos! It would be great to be in NYC during Christmas to see all the beautiful sites! Happy holidays!