Powered by Blogger.

Neither Rain, Nor Sleet, Nor Snow...


Actually, sleet will stop me
 
Last year I embarked on the journey of 1000 miles. My goal was to walk 1,000 miles in 2017. I was optimistic, but not entirely confident I would succeed. But I kept walking -- an average of 2.8 miles a day and on December 12 I walked a thousand miles. At the end of the year, last Sunday, I completed 1,039 miles. Was it difficult to do? No. Was it easy to do? No. Am I happy I did it? Yes!
 
Hot days sidetracked me. Sleet and icy days sidetracked me. Having the flu sidetracked me and breaking my shoulder took out some of February. Putting these days aside, there were approximately 300 days when walking was part of my routine. Living in New York makes it relatively easy. I can walk to the library, grocery shopping and the gym. I walked a mile this morning doing small neighborhood errands and wasn't outside more than four blocks at a time. 
 
If I did little else in a day, I was always glad I walked. So glad I walked that I'm doing the journey of 1,000 miles again in 2018 and hoping to surpass my 1,039 miles this year. I'm part of a formal #team1000 group on WeightWatchers Connect and it's great to have "friends" to walk with throughout the country. It's daunting to think of walking 1000 miles, but less daunting to know that I will do this in small increments. I have 996.8 miles to go and I'm excited to see where my sneakers and I will be going this year.  
 
I've been asked about practical details of my walking and here are a few particulars. I wear good sneakers almost all of the time with orthotics. I don't have a Fitbit, but use the Pacer app on my phone. It works well for me and I like the trend features. I note my mileage during the day and if I see I'm at 2.9 miles I've been known to walk an extra block to make it to 3 miles. My goal for every day is 6,000 steps. No, it's not the famed 10,000 steps, but I found this is a realistic goal for me. I'd rather accomplish my goal nine out of ten days, than succeed twice a week.   
   
Is anyone else joining me for the journey of 1,000 miles? I'd love to have company.
 
It's still cold here, but I got out for errands and now I'm enjoying blog time and a cup of tea. If you're in the freezing areas of the country, what are your cold weather activities?  
   
As ever, thanks for visiting. Take care and keep cozy!
 

11 comments

TARYTERRE said...

an ambitious goal. i wish you luck.

Mimi said...

Not sure I will actually join you, but I need to!

Mevely317 said...

You're absolutely an inspiration!
I don't know if I'll be able summon the gumption once we move and I'm not so tired all of the time ... but humidity or not, I'm going to try!

Joy Nissen said...

Yes, I am in with ya!! I aim for 7000 steps each day, don't always make it but I try!! I will aim for 1000 miles this year!!

Theresa said...

Good for you! I know that it feels good. I do walk but just don't keep up with it. Perhaps I will start doing that:) Have a blessed day, stay warm up there! HUGS!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I do know how hard it is to reach 10000 steps a day and am glad you reduced to a more realistic pace. Still 1000 miles a year eludes me. So glad you can ready your goal and wish you the best walking ever in 2018.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

You did GREAT! And the weather can sure take away some of those 'walking days'. I keep track of our hikes but it would be fun to do the steps too. Happy new year...walking, reading, traveling and enjoying life! Hugs!

Melinda said...

Keep it up.
I am so busy at school, it is not unusual for me to have
a 10,000 step day. Some days are slower.
You keep doing what you feels works best for you!
Stay safe outside.

Keeping warm here in Kansas.

M : )

Susie said...

Carol, I am so very proud of you. That is a great accomplishment. Yes, You are in a wonderful place to walk, things to see and do. Blessings to you and keep it up friend, xoxo, Susie

Nellie said...

What a great goal! I should really jump in and join you! However, these days it seems the most I manage is about 3,500 to 4,000 steps; have slowed down a bit for various reasons. This does seem very workable,though! xo Nellie

Anonymous said...

Congrats to you, such a great accomplishment. I look forward to following along on your walks this year also.