Powered by Blogger.

I Dreamed I Had Age Spots as Big as the Craters of the Moon

 
  But, my friends, it was no dream.
 
On Tuesday afternoon I went to meet my new dermatologist. I had no major issues, but I wanted to find a dermatologist before I did have major skin issues. I did have a small spot on the side of my nose that troubled me and figured I could have it checked. I expected a very quick and cordial visit. 
 
Dr. N. took a photograph of the spot on the side of my nose and thanks to the marvels of modern technology this tiny detail of my skin immediately flashed on the computer screen in front of me. In a second there was the spot on my nose magnified four million times along with every age spot I didn't know I had. When I look in a mirror the size of the one in the photograph above I've got a few age spots and freckles, but now I had age spots that resembled the craters of the moon. I let out a noise that was a cross between a scream and the sound of a balloon deflating and just about fell off the stool that I was sitting on. Not as dignified as I'd hoped.
 
Dr. N. assured me that the spot on my nose looked harmless, but asked me to make an appointment to come back in six months. Next time I'm going to be very prepared -- no caffeine and an hour of relaxation videos -- before my appointment. 
 
Despite this recent fright, life in Buttercupland is okay. Nice weather, local apples, and lots of walking and time spent with friends.
 
As ever, thanks for visiting and take care and sweet dreams!
   

10 comments

Chatty Crone said...

It is called the Golden Years!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I have several age spots and two of them on my face. I haven't seen a dermatologist in years, but figure they are a part of growing older. I had a friend who had hers removed for appearances sake, but I'll be wearing mine as a badge of honor.

Barb said...

I feel your pain. I'm actually becoming so accustomed to them, I hardly notice them anymore.

Susie said...

Carol, I am glad you wrote this post. I will tell you of a tiny spot on my shin. It started by looking like an ingrown hair. , pimple looking. It got a bit bigger and then look like a wart. The dermatologist cut in deep to remove it and cauterized the spot. 10 days later the results of the biopsy said it had the start of cancer cells. I go back in another week here for the dr. to see the spot..it's healed nicely. But he said most cancers can start by looking as simple as a pimple. So sweet lady, better save than sorry. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I guess I wouldn't want to see myself that close! lol And how neat that you were on TV too. You're famous...and I knew you when! heehee! Hugs!

TARYTERRE said...

glad to hear the spot on your nose was nothing to be alarmed about. better to be safe than sorry.

Theresa said...

It is always a shock to me when I see my face magnified:) Happy that it was nothing! Enjoy this gorgeous Fall day dear friend, HUGS!

Melinda said...

So fun becoming a more mature adult
said no one!

M : )

Julie's Creative Lifestyle said...

Hi Carol, it was good that you had a visit to the dermatologist. I love how pretty fall looks in the city and especially the holidays.
Hope you have a nice fall weekend.
Julie

Paula said...

I hate looking at the age spots. I avoid mirrors nowdays!