Powered by Blogger.

What I Did on Labor Day Weekend

I'm in a back to school mood, although I'm far away from going back to school, or even back to work after a long weekend. But old habits don't fade away and it seems that I, too, should be starting school. In lieu of the essay about my summer vacation, I present what I did over the Labor Day weekend in a brief photographic essay. 

My very long walk yesterday included walking several miles past Central Park. It wasn't hot, the park was lushly green and I got to walk with what seemed like, everyone else who was in Manhattan over the weekend. I walked miles and though my hip is not appreciative today, it was a wonderful way to get exercise and enjoy New York.

My favorite activity today was an outdoor theater performance in the urban garden two blocks from home, the West Side Community Garden. The play was fun and I'm appreciative of the efforts the staff and volunteers at the Garden make to schedule activities for the neighborhood. Though New York is a city of over eight million people, it's also a vast network of hundreds of neighborhoods.  
 
I also made my monthly -- the pace will pick up as the holiday calendar fills in -- visit to Michael's. I really need nothing -- and refrained from any extraneous purchases -- but I took a lot of pictures. They had an extensive selection of pet Halloween costumes (this is one small section) and I'm enjoying the thought of my favorite poodle, Elvis, dressed as a lobster. I know he would keep it on for about three minutes before tearing it off, but it would be a great picture. 


My other major activity of the weekend was blogging. I kept my commitment to blog five times and have just about responded to the comments that you all were kind of enough to leave for me. I'm glad to be back in Blog mode for the autumn. I also chose the winner for the Buttercupland giveaway for The Things We Knew.  It's Terra from Terra Garden. If you're not familiar with this blog, please stop by. It's always a very enjoyable visit.

I hope everyone else had an equally good weekend. Of course the biggest blessing was being spared the worst of Hurricane Hermine. We were lucky ducks!

As ever, thanks for visiting and take good care. Happy to see you in September!

10 comments

Denise said...

I love Michael's. Our local one has the greatest flower designer. I had to firmly convince myself that I did not need a new door wreath for fall. But if it is still there this week, it may have to come home with me.

Susie said...

Buttercup, Good ole school days....remembering it all . Wow, you do have it all there in the big city. When you speak of Central Park....I remember my one trip there..the lovely shaded streets on the side we enter from. I do know I was by the statue of Alice in Wonderland. A pond also for sailing boats. I loved what I saw there. I haven't been to a Michael's in years. But I do make it to Hobby-Lobby. Blessings to you, xoxo, Susie

Theresa said...

Well, you had a wonderful weekend! Love the feel of school days:) Have a blessed day dear friend, HUGS!

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

So many things to see and do in NYC.

Terra said...

I like the idea that New York City is composed of small neighborhoods. Lucky me, I am excited to win the book you are giving away.

Paula said...

I would love to be able to walk by Central Park!

Summer said...

That sounds like a really wonderful weekend ♥


summerdaisycottage.blogspot.com

TARYTERRE said...

The lobsters are cute. a nice walk always clears the mind as you take in the sights.

Unknown said...

We were really lucky the weather reports were wrong.

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

Sounds like a great weekend, Carol.

I like the idea of the neighborhoods, and not one vast city.