Powered by Blogger.

The First Little Chill in the Air


 Our local urban garden is still lush and green...
 
...but the signs are in the air -- as well as that first little chill that says you may need a jacket -- that autumn isn't far away.   

I'm not a fan of winter, but I enjoy spring, summer and fall equally. Despite this summer's heat I've relished the long days of light and going out in a t-shirt and flip flops. The woes of winter seem very far when I'm sitting outdoors enjoying an iced coffee and a soft breeze. Often it's when I'm shopping that I note time is marching on. The décor is different and it seems to be the first sign that the new season or holiday is approaching. Sometimes it's far ahead, but this year it was only three weeks before autumn begins.
 

On Wednesday I caught up with errands in the neighborhood and 7-Eleven heralded the coming of pumpkin season. I know I will have a pumpkin latte or two later in the season, but I'm continuing to opt for my usual drink of iced coffee. I may just buy sugar-free pumpkin syrup and create my own drinks at home.
 
Home Goods was my next stop and autumn was the theme -- including both Thanksgiving and Halloween.  Thankfully, I saw no signs of Christmas yet. I'm hoping I won't see Christmas decorations before I'm wearing a jacket and socks on a regular basis. I'd like to savor the autumn before Christmas and Chanukah take center stage.  

I did like this cute trick or treat basket. I may be returning to continue pondering whether to make this a gift for favorite trick or treaters.
 
I'm on the lookout for cute Thanksgiving table pieces and the copper pumpkins on the left of the picture caught my eye. 
 
As I grow older I want time to go more slowly and like so many things we want just the opposite happens. The days go quickly, the seasons come before we're quite ready to let go of the last and the years...the years are in flight.

As ever, thanks for visiting. Everyone in the path of Hermine, stay safe and everyone else, have a great weekend.

6 comments

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Time is flying for sure and the stores are always a step ahead when it comes to seasonal sales. It has been delightedly cooler here for a couple of days but the weather is calling for a hot week ahead.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

It's a beautiful time of year and we hope the weather cools some this week here too. Glad the hurricane is staying out in the water! Enjoy your day! Hugs

TARYTERRE said...

Autumn Days are coming. Delightful change.

Barb said...

I like hearing about the changes you're seeing in the city. There are many changes where I live at high altitude, including having to wear more layers and definitely socks! Time does seem to pass too quickly. It seems like just yesterday that I was wishing for summer!

Nellie said...

Hi, Buttercup! We've had such heat here this summer that I'm really ready for the cooler temps that usually come with fall. It will be awhile, though, as our highs for the next several days are to be in the nineties!! There are a few places here where some Christmas things are seen. This is really the time for crafters to begin working on things for that season. Enjoy September!!

Unknown said...

I'm welcoming the slightly cooler weather. This summer was unbearably hot. I had finally adopted another dog after BJ died and the weather stopped me from going to the park every morning. With the cooler weather beginning I can take him to the park and he can run around off leash.

Today is a perfect day. It's cool, sunny, not windy, not humid, and dry. Once again the weathermen were wrong, Hermine did not come to NY.