Powered by Blogger.

No Spring Without a Winter


I looked in my tote bag this afternoon. There were infinite cough drops and two pairs of gloves. There was a lined leather pair for cold and and a knit pair for snowy days. I had three different lip balms. I was ready to meet most snowy day emergencies. But I was in a daze when I walked outside to run a few errands. The air didn't have a chill and the sun was actually warm. I'd forgotten what the warmth of the sun felt like and I'd stopped believing that spring would one day arrive again no matter how many times I said it would. I'd even come up with a title for this week's "Random 5 Friday. I was going to call it "Tundra Random 5 Friday," in honor of our endless winter.

Not today. Today I fully believe that the gift of spring is slightly more than a month away. I believe that the spring flowers will bloom and we'll once again hear the song of the turtle and they will be still more sweet than usual because of this long, long winter.

It's been a long six weeks, and it would be a lie to say I'd been upbeat the entire time or even most of it. I blogged, I read, I met football players and I saw friends, but the cold, early darkness and snow got to me. I continued a few writing projects, including another article for the Manilla blog, which I'm happy to share. I even started a new project, which I hope to tell you about later in the year.  

As always thanks for visiting. Take good care and I hope the gift of spring is right around the corner for you, too. 

17 comments

TARYTERRE said...

Winter has been long, indeed. But I agree things are looking up. It's going to be 53 here tomorrow.

Sola Scriptura said...

I really like the saying you posted, "There is no spring without a winter" - what a great outlook.
I'm curious about your new project!

Marie Rayner said...

Playing catch up this morning Carol! I have to say my favourite Beatles song is the whichever one I am listening to! I love them all!

Spring will arrive one month from today. Let's hope it more than makes up for the lousy winter we have had! xxoo

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

It seems that each year winter drags out longer and will never end.
I'm always prepared with extra gloves, hat and scarf but will be glad when I can pack them away.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Even though this little warm spell will be short lived I am thankful for it. I does feel so good to have some warmth from the sun once again. Some snow is melting here.

Linda said...

I am thankful for any warm spell we get. I just saw on the news though, we are expecting another winter storm, Seneca??? However, I will take the current 40* and melting snow happily. Blessings

Marsha said...

Carol, just to let you know it will be in the low 70's today in Atlanta :)

Stephanie said...

So true, sweet Carol. Thanks for the reminder :)

Hugs and blessings!

Sr. Ann Marie said...

Love that quote! It has indeed been a difficult winter. I'm trying to keep the lock on the complaining part of my brain. Every time I start to open my mouth to complain, I try to remember the three days several weeks ago when we had no electricity, no heat, and no hot water--that's usually enough to remind me that today might be bad outside but inside it's pretty comfortable--and there are lots of folks who have no heat, electricity, or hot water at any time! So yes--there is a spring and it will come!

Lynn said...

it is too bad you didn't live here, we've been spared a 'real' winter...I like your spring without winter photo..

BJ PUP said...

Now you just need to add sunscreen and sun glasses to your tote.

Theresa said...

True statement! Can't appreciate the warmth of Spring without the cold of Winter:) Enjoy your Friday dear friend, HUGS!

Anonymous said...

I do enjoy the different seasons, but winter is my least favorite. Have a lovely weekend.

White Lace and Promises said...

"No Spring without a Winter." Good writing. Wow!

I honestly think if I had that kind of Winter I'd have to get me one of those lights. This Bipolar girl would be in permanent hibernation.

Elizabeth Edwards said...

i am so ready for spring. we have melting snow & a chance to flooding today. so lots of rain & even wind. a not good combo. happy weekend. ( :

Melinda said...

Yep, I see sings each day.

Thanks for the mention about the card shower in your last post.

M :)

Annesphamily said...

I love your button here. SO truthful! No winter, no spring. Simple and truthful. Always fun to catch up with my favorite friend Carol!