Powered by Blogger.

Just Around the Corner Sunlit Sunday

Broadway...My destination was the cute new restaurant on the corner with the bright red awning...

...and thankfully today was sunny. The giant puddles that made crossing the street an Olympic sport were much smaller. I was happy the sun was out, but I still would have waded puddles and walked through snow for my brunch date. Even without the sun being out it would have been a very sunlit Sunday. 

I was scheduled for brunch with a dear college friend. We'd lived in the same dorm for three years in college and when we both came to New York after graduate school we lived just around the corner and up the street, literally three blocks from each other. We'd fallen out of touch and now, by a benevolent turn of fate, we once again live just a few blocks away. Our conversation flowed easily, and in many ways it was as though twenty-five days had gone by and not twenty-five years. Of course there are big gaps and many stories untold. But what a gift to have the time and ability to fill in some of those gaps and even sweeter, the ability to make new memories. I can't think of a more sunlit way to spend a Sunday afternoon in February or at any time.

We both had walked by this restaurant at least a dozen times and wanted to try it, and weren't disappointed. The food was very good and the restaurant was charming.  As a Manhattan restaurant there were very tight quarters, and though I hoped for a picture this was the best I could do. 

   I'd love to try an arrangement like this.

The rest of the day was quiet. I caught up on the New York Times -- crossword puzzle still to do -- and there's a pot of carrot soup simmering on the stove. I'm looking forward to "Downton Abbey" and then the online discussion. I took one of the Facebook quizzes, "What Downton Abbey Character Are You?" twice. I must have changed one of the answers and I was Lady Edith once and Anna once. I'm not sure I'm either, but they are my two favorite characters and I worry about both of them.  

As always, thanks for stopping by. Take good care and have a sunlit Sunday night.  

21 comments

Linda said...

Very pretty picture Buttercup. Thanks for sharing. Smiles

My Little Home and Garden said...

Your Sunday sounds like it is brimming with pleasures, Carol, big and small. It's great that you were able to pick things up so easily with your old friend. There's something special about having people in one's life who knew you when the world was very young!

Karen

Terra said...

Isn't that wonderful you two friends are now in touch and living near each other. That lunch date must have been abuzz with catch up chat.

Lynda said...

What a blessing to reconnect with someone so special and pick up where you left off. That is truly a gift. I like the arrangement on the table. Makes winter feel not quite as harsh. Our day has been beautiful, too. My husband and I just ordered Season Four on DVD. We haven't figured out how it is available when the series is still being broadcast and not finished. We have gotten the PBS UK version each time - - - so now we can catch up to you all, too.

White Lace and Promises said...

I love the zinc flower pot. I have been disappointed with Downton this season. Maybe I just haven't watched enough episodes to get into it, but in the past I was hooked the first night. Will have to netflix it later. Thanks for dropping by today.

aspiritofsimplicity said...

I love Downton Abbey as well...I am not sure which character I would be. I like the mother, Lady Grantham but I love Maggie Smith's character! Oh and I like Matthew's mother as well. I should like to be her.

Veronica Roth said...

I hope you have a lovely time watching Downton Abbey tonight. I've given up on that since the first season, but it sure is still going strong, isn't it? It's a bit more rain than sun here on the West Coast, but I'm hoping for a break this week. Hope you have a lovely week ahead. I have a friend in NY, Daryl (http://onthem104.blogspot.ca) and she takes daily photos and I can see the weather. Although it seems it's warmer on the east side than the west side! :)

Tina Fariss Barbour said...

It is a sunlit time, no matter the weather, when you can spend time with a friend. I'm glad you enjoyed your time out. And it sounds like you have a cozy evening lined up. Enjoy!

Cindy said...

It is always fun to be out with others and a bonus when the restaurant serves up a good meal as well. I can't watch Downton Abbey as I'm visiting my daughter in NC, somewhere in wood bumble something stashed away where country living is a choice not an option- however I don't know why anyone would want to live like this all the time. Seeing I often wear a hat and speak my mind and I'm becoming a snippit I should guess you would know who I'd be, lol

Lynn said...

That is a great shot of the restaurant's building...it is neat to reconnect with old friends, and even better if you live close to each other, glad that weather in NY is looking far less severe.

TARYTERRE said...

How nice to be able to catch up with an old friend. The restaurant looks charming, indeed. The perfect place for conversation.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Nice you had your sunlit Sunday. Sometimes we make our own sunshine no matter the weather. Meeting up with a friend is always a way to do that. Here we had more snow...The sun is just coming up this morning. I can see It rising just now over a roof top down the street. Hope you have a wonderful Monday!

Little Wandering Wren said...

Hi Buttercup
I'm glad to see the snow is going. It is always special to catch up with old friends and fun to fill in the gaps!
Wren x

Teacherfish said...

I know what you mean about the stree crossing being an Olympic event, I,ve been singing , Climb Every Mountaiin, as I try to get over the mounds the plows make at every corner. more snow tonight, but hopefully spring will be here soon.Stay warm!

Denise said...

I took that quiz. Turns out I am like the Dowager Countess. And on 'Sherlock' I am most like Mycroft. Alas, I am just really a happy retiree who has seven Saturdays in a row every week!

Nancy said...

Very nice that you made that thought happen in real time Carol! Hope you didn't get "too much" of that darned snow.

Pondside said...

That little bouquet is sweet in its simplicity - humble bucket and glorious flowers.
I watched the two most recent episodes of Downton last night - so nice to get caught up and have a real Downton 'feast'. I don't know which character I'm like - but Anna is such a sweetheart!

Dee said...

Dear Carol, your words--"But what a gift to have the time and ability to fill in some of those gaps and even sweeter, the ability to make new memories"--speak to me so deeply. I am in the midst of creating new memories and that is a gift.

As to Downton Abbey, last night's revelation of what happened to the rapist has me wondering if I would really want to be married to someone whom I thought had a temper that would lead to murder. Peace.

Sola Scriptura said...

I always enjoy your NYC pictures! I really like the style of that bouquet arrangement.

Ida said...

What a joyous day you had. I think it's grand that you were able to reconnect with your friend. That was a lovely floral bouquet.

Annesphamily said...

Some things are just meant to be! What a fun brunch you had! Catching up with old friends! Your stories are always wonderful.