Powered by Blogger.

They Paved Paradise and Put up a Parking Lot

When I started blogging a little over four years I'd never heard of Google Reader. Google Reader is the feature of Google where I can see a list of all the Blogger blogs that I follow. I look at it on my desktop computer and on my phone. I follow a lot of blogs. Some I visit often and some I stop by once a week or once a month. During the weekends I try and see all the new posts and catch up with my bloggy friends, via Google Reader.

I haven't thought much about this marvel that has let me easily follow blogs I enjoy, until this morning when I read that Google Reader will be history as of July 1, 2013. Bye bye with tears, Google Reader! I am hoping that the recommended replacement, Google Takeout, will work well, but right now I'm concerned that nothing can take the place of my beloved Reader.

Of course, if you had asked me a week ago or a day ago what my thoughts were about Google Reader I would have told you it was fine, nothing special and not given it a second thought. But in the words of the Joni Mitchell song that is the title for this post, "You don't know what you've got 'til it's gone. They paved paradise and put up a parking lot." Isn't that the way for so many things!

I'm going to do some research about replacements for Reader. Is anyone using Google Takeout or found a different way to keep track of the blogs they follow? I can do email subscriptions, but I find I don't keep up with blogs as much via email and rarely comment. I'm open and grateful for any and all thoughts.

On other fronts, work is busier and busier. Our big project launches in nine days. I've worked on this for over two years and we're down to nine days. The few days of spring we've had has returned to winter and I can't find my gloves or hat. Luckily I've kept track of my wool socks and turtlenecks.

Wishes for a warm and cozy Friday!

9 comments

Ms Sparrow said...

By this time of the year, I'm sure every public place has a box full of lost hats and gloves. You might check them out!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I've never used google reader but instead just follow the blogs I read in the reading list that blogger provides. I wonder if that will change too? Glad all your hard work is about to come to fruition. Hope you have a fantastic Friday.

Chatty Crone said...

I am in shock with you! sandie

GardenOfDaisies said...

I've always just read the blogs I follow on the "Dashboard". I'll have to go see what Google Takeout is.

TARYTERRE said...

I just follow the blog list in blogger that Ma does. No trouble. My new browser is giving me fits though. Sorry to hear about your Google reader.

Karen said...

I'm with you! I'm not sure what I'm going to do without google reader. I never check my dashboard, never sign up to "follow" blogs, I just subscribe in google reader. It's been simple and worked perfectly for me.

Not looking forward to checking out the alternatives. I'm almost hesitant to try google takeout-what if they decide to get rid of that eventually?

I know I'm being an old fogy and resisting change but I hate when they try to fix something that, from my perspective at least, isn't broken.

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

I just left a comment on another blog concerning Google reader. I use it and feel like you ~ it is the way I follow most blogs. I also have subscribed via email but I do not prefer it.

Hopefully something will come along that is just as good.

Life and Breath and Everything Else said...

Please keep us updated about what alternative you find to google reader.

Lynda said...

I just sign-in to my blog when I call it up and go to my reading list. I don't pay attention to what it is called.
Today - - we have spring and it is gorgeous outside!