Powered by Blogger.

To New Orleans and the Gulf

The first time I visited New Orleans was in the winter of 1973. I was a graduate student at Vanderbilt and I joined three friends for a trip to Mardi Gras. We had very little money, but we had the best time. We drove into New Orleans about six o'clock in the morning. The fog was lifting and I felt I'd entered a magical place. I ate dinner with these friends a number of times in the two more years I lived in Nashville and each time we ate together we made a toast. The toast was always "To New Orleans and the Gulf."

Exactly one year today New York City was beginning to recover from the damage from Hurricane Irene.
Though upstate New York wasn't lucky, New York City escaped relatively unscathed. For the most part we had winds and rain and downed branches. This picture was taken a block from my house in Riverside Park.


Hurricane Isaac is about to make landfall in the next few hours. My hope and prayer is that New Orleans and all the communities along the Gulf escape the ravages of wind and flooding and that the photos we see show less devastation than the one above. To New Orleans and the Gulf!

11 comments

Theresa said...

To New Orleans and the Gulf! I am praying for them all! Have a blessed evening, thanks for sharing your memories! HUGS!

Anonymous said...

That is my hope and prayer, as well. Have a restful night, Buttercup.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

To New Orleans and the Gulf. Prayers all around. One of my sons was close enough, but not in New Orleans when Katrina hit. He is no longer there but still owns a home in the gulf. Katrina was devastating for many. Hopefully this time around it won't be so bad.

TARYTERRE said...

I had planned to go to New Orleans the week Katrina hit. Change in plans. Never have been there. But I'm saying my prayers for those in Isaac's path. To NEW ORLEANS and the GULF.

Kerin said...

Amen.
I too am praying for the storms to pass by, without damaging those states.

Hope today is a great day for you.

{{hugs}}
K.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi there, Didn't know that you went to Vandy... I love Nashville--and the Vandy area.

I lived in New Orleans in the mid-80's for about 5 yrs. We went to Mardi Gras for many years --and loved it... Glad you got to attend.

Katrina changed that city --and I pray that people will be okay as Isaac visits them...

Hugs,
Betsy

Susie said...

Praying for all who are in the gulf states. Too much rain . I have never gone to New Orleans but have often thought about it. xo, Susie

Maggid said...

adding my Love & Light to all these prayers, Hopes and Great Wishes . . . heart with the people of this marvelous city

Amrita said...

May the people in those areas be kept safe

Debra said...

Thanks to all who have prayed for us. Isaac lingers on just a little bit in the form of rain, and rain and more rain. But I'm not complaining...all is well!

Melinda said...

It is so hard to watch the coverage of this event--knowing what they are going through.

Blessings and prayers for all dealing with Issac.

M :)