Powered by Blogger.

Happy Birthday, USA


Arlington National Cemetery, April 2010

One of the events of 2010 that will stay in my memory for a long, long time is my visit to Maryland for our blogger tea and the wonderful time spent with Marydon, Harold and Sherry. It's difficult to choose a favorite time of the weekend. There were so many rich and memorable moments. But one part of that weekend has especial meaning today, our visit to Arlington National Cemetery. I've been before -- several times -- but each time is moving and each visit makes me more grateful for those who gave the greatest sacrifice for the freedom with which I am blessed.

The photograph is from the memorial to President John F. Kennedy. The words are always inspiring and I still can remember the first time I heard them. It was a snowy day in 1961, actually a blizzard. As a result I was home from school during the day and felt so fortunate to watch the inauguration. 

My plans are simple for the weekend. New York is relatively empty and it makes getting around the city much less complicated. I attended services last night and had a leisurely dinner with friends. Today included a blissful two hours at Michael's and then "Toy Story 3." I was with my friend Mary and we zipped in ten minutes before the show. That's not the norm for a popular movie on a Saturday. Afterwards, we got a table immediately at the most popular new restaurant in the neighborhood. Usually there's an hour wait on a Saturday night. I'm decluttering, catching up on blogs, shoe shopping -- my summer shoes are about to split every seam -- and maybe a pedicure. I'm not setting the alarm and I'm going to drink iced coffee and do the NY Times crossword and not worry about a thing. I've only had two calls from work and I'm going to cross my fingers that they will be the only work calls for the weekend.  Not exciting, but so so relaxing. 

Hope your weekend is everything you hope it to be. Wishes to all for a very happy Independence Day! 


8 comments

ocmist said...

Happy Independence Day! We plan a quiet one at home after church... We will see. We don't like to be out on the roads on holidays with drunk drivers, etc. Last year, we watched a Christian Channel on the TV that had all sorts of Patriotic specials, and it was really nice. Not hard on the corgis either, since we are away from town so we don't have to worry about fireworks scaring them. The ones on the TV don't bother them.

Chatty Crone said...

Happy Independence Day.

Sounds like you are going to have a nice relaxed weekend - personally I love those myself.

So happy 4th to you.

sandie

Mimi said...

HI BUTTERCUP!!!!
I also love Arlington Nat. Cemetery. Makes me feel so much pride for our Country that these men and women gave up so much for us!!!
I Love your NYC tales, I bet it is nice when the city is not so crowded and loud!!!How fun to dine and not wait!!!My fav is to walk up to your fav place and get right in!!!!
Enjoy your day and hopefully Monday is a day off too!!!
happy 4th of July!!!!
hugs,
jamie

Pam said...

It sounds like you had a great enjoyable time! How did you like the movie? Did you cry?

Enjoy your relaxing and have a Happy 4th!

LemonyRenee' said...

We loved Toy Story 3, Buttercup, did you? Sounds like a wonderful time around the city. Happy Fourth!

Sybil said...

I am surprised to read that Ny is quiet over the holiday weekend I thought it would be all a buzz with parades etc. I am so gla dthat it isn't and that you are having such a lovely quiet time. You need to have a relaxing weekend sometimes...
Our weather has been great until today when it has dulled down with a brisk wind not a sitting out day...just glanced up and see that it is actually raining a steady drizzle..that will be good for the garden
Thank you for popping into my wee blog.
love always sybil

Unknown said...

Lilac ~ Now I know why you are so quiet ... you are enjoying, savoring every moment of New York quiet. Chuckle! We both are sending you our love & wishes for a fabulous Independence Day, my friend.
Hugs, He & Me

Jemi Fraser said...

Hope your 4th is happy, safe and full of fun - enjoy :)