Powered by Blogger.

On Christmas Night

Christmas in New York City

Yes, friends, this is Christmas in New York City. It's not Rockefeller Center or the department store windows in Manhattan, but it's still New York City. And if it looks like the beach, that's because it is the beach, and it's where I spent the 2023 Christmas weekend. 


Thanks to dear friends I enjoyed Christmas at the beach without leaving New York City. Though it sounds like a complete contradiction New York City has 520 miles of shorefront and this area at the far end of Queens (one of the five boroughs that make up New York City) has some of the nicest beaches I know. Though it's just an hour from home it's a million miles away for peace and quiet and that is a wonderful gift.   


If you celebrate Christmas I hope that your celebration was filled with laughter and fun, good food, perhaps a holiday movie or two and moments of peace and joy. I hope your day was bright with  family, friends and good times. 


 I've purposely left the week ahead very unscheduled. I still have cards to write -- same as every year -- and I want to get to the gym, enjoy walking in the mild weather predicted for the week and finish up a couple of books I've started. What's on your agenda for the last week of 2023?


As ever, thanks for visiting and wishes for a week of peace and rest.  

6 comments

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

That looks like a lovely place to have celebrated, Carol. There are always things that never got done during the holidays and I will also be writing out some cards and letters before the end of the year. This week, we will be driving to our native NJ to visit family and friends. Thanks for your blog friendship this past year.

Lynda said...

Thanks again for this picture. It is so beautiful and makes a person feel happy and relaxed viewing it. It evokes the feelings of the beach which subconsciously transports us there.
My week is unscheduled. We tried to schedule events at Christmas and due to sickness with grandkids, etc. - - nothing went as planned. It was totally different - - but all very good because we are still here to celebrate! Praying blessings and safety for you as you traverse your streets!

Anonymous said...

Adrienne and I appreciate your missives and you. Your Christmas in the Rockaways sounds lovely. Greetings from Portland (the one in Oregon), where we’re visiting our son and daughter in law for a few days, before proceeding to Pasadena to check off one of Adrienne’s “Bucket List” items- seeing the Tournament of Roses Parade in person. We’re also going the opportunity to decorate one of the floats, which she’s very excited about. And, “ by the way,”
there’s the football 🏈 game we’ll get to see. Alabama vs. Michigan, which should be very exciting.

Anonymous said...

I always enjoy everything you post. I'm not very good at posting comments but wanted you to know I've enjoyed the plethora of content photos, observations & encouragements. Bless you as the new year quickly approaches.

Ruthie Reyes Burckard said...

What a lovely view of NY. Thanks for filling our pages with all of your beautiful photos and memories made in the present and past. Tjis one in particular brought back many fond memories for me. I once lived on the edge of the water, at the foot of the Throgs Neck Bridge. Merry Christmas Carol. May the rest of your stay be epic.

Brenda said...

Love your blog. I have passed my goal of miles this year…every step painful but must do them. 1500 plus miles…again…glad you are doing the miles also. Keep writing. Brenda