Powered by Blogger.

C Is for Coffee (Carts) and D Is for Doughnuts

C Is for Coffee (and a whole lot more) Carts

Actually, today should be a "D" post, but yesterday totally overwhelmed me. In an effort to keep on track, I'm acknowledging it and combining coffee (C) and it's great go-to, doughnuts. Our "C" post is the ubiquitous New York City coffee cart.

I spent most of yesterday with friends visiting from Atlanta. I met them at the Highline and then we stopped at Chelsea Market for lunch. We then walked to Lower Manhattan and paid our  respects at the 9/11 Memorial. My coffee fuel for this wonderful trek came from a coffee cart very similar to the one pictured above. 

The coffee cart is a descendent of the street vendors who populated the Lower East Side at the beginning of the Twentieth Century. The pushcart was  a way for recent immigrants to earn a living without making a big investment. Coffee carts, which sell a lot more than coffee, are ubiquitous all over Manhattan. I've bought as many cups of coffee from carts as I've bought in much more upscale locations, and most of the coffee has been very tasty. I have tremendous admiration for people who provide street food. It's a long day of standing in the cart and cooking, in cold and hot weather. 


Welcome to Doughnuttery

While I was at Chelsea Market I found a branch of one of my favorite sweet stores, Doughnuttery. Somehow I had the immense will power to walk past this source of mini doughnuts, but from past visits I can recommend these doughnuts. The aroma is amazing and the unique and delicious sugar blends make these doughnuts the perfect match for a cup of coffee. 

Tomorrow promises to be a lower key day and I hope to be posting a lot earlier in the day. I've got my photographs ready for my  A to Z "E" post.  It's going to be a sweet treat, but also involve major alphabet gymnastics. Please stop by. 

As ever, thanks for visiting and take good care. 
 

2 comments

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I love both, coffee and donuts. And I have no will power when it comes to either one of them . I enjoy both often, but not from a cart, but here at home. I can imagine they are very popular with folks shopping or on their way to work.

Debs Carey said...

We have more kebab vans than coffee carts here in the UK, which I think is a travesty (I'm not a kebab fan). Generally doughnuts aren't my favourite, but the mini ones are just perfect - bite-sized and less oozy.


Debs visiting this year from
Making Yourself Relationship Ready