Powered by Blogger.

Pink Saturday Salutes Pumpkins and Polka Dots

It's time for pumpkins, Yayoi Kusama style. 

This Pink Saturday, the first weekend of autumn 2021, we're saluting pumpkins, especially the fabulous pumpkins created by Japanese artist, Yayoi Kusama. I had the privilege of visiting the extraordinary show celebrating her work at the New York Botanical Gardens earlier this month. She brings an amazing vision to the most mundane elements and in the way of a great artist, made me rethink the way I saw them, starting with pumpkins. 

I've long had a deep affection for pumpkins and some of my favorite memories of autumn include time wandering in pumpkin patches, but I've never been able to quite capture what it was about the pumpkin that was so endearing. Kusama, in the quote below,  did it for me. 


Are you a pumpkin fan, too?

Polka dots are another favorite motif, whether combined with pumpkins or simply as polka dots. I especially enjoyed them featured on the wrapped trees at the garden. 


Polka dots and flowers and so much fun!

The beautiful water lilies and more flowers from Kusama

The week ahead is a busy one, almost like other autumns past. I've got tickets to a great exhibition at the NY Public Library tomorrow. I'm hoping that photography is permitted and I can share it here. Fingers crossed that the weather is good and I'll be able to do some roaming around New York City, too. What are your plans?

As ever, thanks for visiting and take care. 

7 comments

Nellie said...

Hoping to hear from the doctor about booster authorization tomorrow; had flu vaccine this past Friday. We’ve been staying close to home for a few weeks with high COVID counts locally. Always love to see your posts about NYC.

Deb J. in Utah said...

What a fun exhibit! I love pumpkin and pumpkin flavoring and I love your pictures! Have a great week!

LC said...

Loved this post, but it makes me a bit envious of the wonderful exhibits and experiences you visit in New York. Hope all works out well for the upcoming library exhibit.

Brenda said...

Had third shot…at least two weeks before a flu shot…no travel yet for this senior…enjoy

Great-Granny Grandma said...

Love these pictures--especially the one of the tree wrapped in polka dots. and the polka dot flower. You find such wonderful places to visit.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

What an unique art form. I love the colors and the polka dots. Looks like you are having beautiful weather!

Jeanie said...

I love this post,but what's NOT to love about pumpkins and polka dots! You saw some wonderful examples!