Powered by Blogger.

Happy World Photography Day

I looked up and this is what I saw,  August 19, 2019

Actually, this is what the camera saw on August 19, 2019 and captured for years to come. Somewhere in my internet browsing today I discovered that August 19 is commemorated as World Photography Day.  The commemoration honors the patent for the daguerreotype, which was purchased by the French government (8/19/39 as in 1839) and then made available for free to the world. This follows the invention of the daguerreotype, the first photographic process, in 1837.

As the saying goes, the rest is history. A history that includes the first durable color photograph in 1861 and the first digital photograph in 1957, which was two decades before a digital camera. Somewhere in the tech universe the next photographic process is being developed, or has been developed and our children/children's children will look back on our cell phones the way we look back on the Eastman Kodak brownie cameras of our childhood, which first came into use in 1900. 

I've always liked taking pictures, from the first camera I remember using, a Polaroid in high school to an instamatic camera in college to assorted  digital cameras sometime in the last twenty years to my first cell phone camera circa 2006. The latter has been life changing and without it, I doubt if I would have enjoyed blogging as much as I do. I doubt if I would have enjoyed life as much as I have/do without the ability to capture moments and images and save them. A big "merci bien" to someone long forgotten serving in the French government in 1839 who decided to buy the patent and give this extraordinary gift to the world. 

Once again, another week flies by. I got to the gym once -- too hot the last few days -- and had the last birthday celebration of 2021 last night. Yes, my birthday was in early July, but we had problems getting this last one on the calendar. It was a lovely evening in a restaurant I've long wanted to try. Everything was delicious -- shrimp bisque, halibut and berries with Sabayon (Custard sauce) -- and best of all, besides the company, I had the "leftover" fish for dinner tonight. 

I've just gotten a message from my Fitbit telling me "it's time to start winding down for bed." I guess the algorithm thinks I go to bed too late for optimal health. I thought I was doing pretty well getting a good night's sleep, but I guess not. Time to wind down. 

As ever, thanks for visiting and take good care.  
 

4 comments

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

You do a great job of photography, I enjoy all your pictures and the trips you take too. I only use my cell phone to take pictures Therese days. Thankfully it is always handy.

Edna B said...

I, too, love taking photos. Nowadays though, I don't get out so often, so I use my phone to take photos when an opportunity arises. You have a wonderful day, hugs, Edna B.

Lowcarb team member said...

Thank goodness for photography.
Photographs can bring joy and special memories.

All the best Jan

LC said...

I, too, would likely be out of blogging totally without a cell phone. Thanks for wonderfully easy-to-digest history that has led to my phone that allows me to continue recording moments in spite of some physical limitations.