Powered by Blogger.

Silver Tone for Silver Tones


My celebration of Phase Two, a haircut

I'm delighted that New York has moved into Phase Two of emerging from staying at home, but materially it hasn't made many changes in my day to day life. I'm enjoying seeing the increased people walking in the neighborhood and reopened stores and restaurants, but I haven't gone any where different from my usual haunts of the last three months, with one exception. I got a haircut last week. 

Like just about everything else these days I planned this adventure meticulously. I've been in touch with my hairdresser of long standing and learned that she wasn't sure when the salon she worked at would open. I didn't want to be disloyal, but I also didn't want to wait indefinitely. On one of my neighborhood walks I discovered a brand new salon that was very spacious, perfect for social distancing. I zipped in and explained what I wanted to do. I would arrive with my hair already washed -- I'm only a couple of blocks away and it's the middle of summer -- have my hair cut and leave with no styling. My time estimate for this was ten minutes. Actually the entire appointment including payment was fifteen minutes. 

One thing I chose not to do during this visit was to color my hair. I was reluctant to spend the extra time inside the salon and I've used this time to see what I looked like without hair color. I have "touched up" the gray for over thirty years, which is a long time to put chemicals on my head. I've been thinking about letting my hair grow out for at least the last year or two, but didn't look forward to the interim phase of two tone hair. Then in March fate stepped in. My last hair appointment had been in February and I didn't get to the one scheduled in late March. There is now a lot of silver, but I've come through the worst part of growing it out, and I'm going to live with my silver tone look for at least the next month. I'm optimistic that salons will stay open and I can revisit my decision easily. 

New York City is on track -- fingers crossed -- for Phase Three on Monday. Among other features, I will be able to get a pedicure. I've watched my local nail salon making changes and I will make changes to my routine there, too. No drinking coffee during the pedicure, no reading magazines while my nails dry and I will be wearing a mask the entire time. I'm scheduled for appointments with my ophthalmologist and my dentist next week, so it's going to be a busy week. 

This card is on its way to Germany
 
I spent time today working on correspondence, including the Post Card Project. Happily I made some headway and please be on the lookout in Tennessee and Germany. 

Later today -- I planned to finish this post earlier in the evening -- we're taking a trip to Ottawa to celebrate Canada Day. I hope you'll be here to join the festivities. 

As ever, thanks for visiting and take good care. Happy Canada Day! 

8 comments

Laurel Wood said...

I love your hair! It felt wonderful to have my hair cut after so many weeks. It's been about 12 years since I stopped coloring my hair. I remember during the growing-out phase how tempted I was to return to coloring. I do enjoy not spending the time or money on coloring now. I wish you the best with your appointments next week.

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

Your hair looks good. Good for you for getting all the info before going and fifteen minutes sounds just right. My Retired man had a haircut last week but I am not ready yet to brave the salon. Maybe next month and in the meantime, I wear a sun hat.

Deanna Rabe said...

I'm 57 and so far don't have a lot of grey. I take after my grandmother that way. I'm not sure I'll ever color my hair, unless I decided to add some fun color to it! LOL!

My mother dyed her hair for many years too, and then about 8 years ago she decided to let her color grow out. Her hair is lovely. Lots of white and silver. It is perfect to her skin tone, too.

I think people should do what they feel comfortable with to their hair. Glad NYC is opening up!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

The growing out part is not easy. I quite coloring my great har when I turned 50. It feels good to be natural and although I think it makes me look older, I'm proud of every year I've lived and have earned the right to be me. I did enjoy getting a hair cut though. I keep it short and it feels so good to get it back in shape. I got a dr appt for a check up coming next week. So we'll see how that goes. Next on the list is my eye doctor. Makes appreciate the things we have for sure !

Chatty Crone said...

I love your hair - I let mine go - and I have never looked back. I am glad to see New York coming alive - just hope everyone wears a mask!

Nellie said...

How wonderful for you! My last haircut was on February 13, and I've taken the scissors to it myself twice. It will be a long while before I go to a salon again. Our numbers are rising here, and no one seems to be serious about wearing a mask! I've been gray for many, many years! I keep postponing/cancelling appointments here; just not the time to venture out according to the data I read. Sending you good wishes for your adventures!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Nice to "see" you BC with your shorter hair. I know what you mean about finding a different stylist as the same thing happened to me. My April and then June appts at my regular place were both cancelled, and since I didn't want to wait longer I went to a Supercuts and not only was the cost less, but I liked the cut which was much shorter than my previous haircut. As for the color, I was having it done with my cut, but then when things were shutdown and only certain services available, I did my own coloring and again less cost and not awful results. Not wanting to go gray is my vanity.

Ginny Hartzler said...

No kidding, the very first thing I noticed upon visiting is how cute your hair is!! I really like it. We have not been able to get ours cut, and our hair is way too long now.