Powered by Blogger.

Welcome to Riverside Park



Welcome to beautiful Riverside Park

Blogger has been slightly more cooperative this evening and I'm happy to reschedule our visit to Riverside Park. The weather is slightly cooler, but the rain held off. Let's get a jacket and put on our sneakers and set off for the park. 

When I moved to this apartment almost thirty years ago I don't think I'd ever set foot in Riverside Park and it wasn't a factor in choosing my apartment. As the years have gone by, and especially in the last few months, it is a literal answer to prayer. 

In the Nineteenth Century the population of New York grew substantially. After Central Park's completion in 1859 a decision was made to add parks on both the east and west sides of Manhattan. In 1865 the city acquired 700 acres on the Hudson River. In 1873 Frederick Law Olmstead, who had designed Central Park, began the design for the new park. The work didn't go as quickly as Central Park, but in 1880 Riverside Park was completed. 

I took a number of pictures of the park, including my favorite spot, a rock garden that includes a topiary dog. Sadly, this was the only picture I was able to download because Blogger is still misbehaving. My goal for tomorrow is to spend time doing research about what the problem may be. 

Besides my Blogger mishaps, all else is okay. The weather has been lovely and I've been getting out for walks. I've been doing a lot of reading -- book blog post to come -- and I'm enjoying my Weight Watcher groups via Zoom and of course, cooking and cleaning the kitchen.  

As ever, thanks for visiting and take good care. Much love and wash your hands.


6 comments

Ginny Hartzler said...

It looks lovely, and is a tantalizing photo; making me want to see more.

Chatty Crone said...

Very pretty - so this must be near your apartment???

Laurel Wood said...

The park is lovely and I'm so glad you are enjoying your visits there during these difficult days. I look forward to your book blog post. I have been cooking and cleaning more than usual during our quarantine. I wish you a very nice and safe weekend. Thank you so much for following my new blog. Mildred

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Looking forward to more images, once the photo issue is resolved, hopefully soon. I wish I could provide some helpful answers, but am clue-less. We too have been getting out for walks as much as possible and reading outdoors in a small park near the mill apts as often as possible. Yes, cleaning as well but not getting overly carried away with those chores, just 1 or 2 daily is enough for me!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Being in the city it is a blessing to have a park to visit and get in touch with nature. We had a few nice days with sunshine, but today it is raining again and I'll be staying in. I've rediscover a few good authors in my many days of reading here. I read a delightful book by Karen Kiingsolver yesterday day and today I have a new one to read by Diane Chamberlain called Big Lies in a small Town. Ued to read them both years ago, but havae found they are still as good as they used to be.

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

It looks lovely, Carol. How wonderful that it is not too far from your apartment.