Powered by Blogger.

The Journey of 1000 Miles: Spring Update

Walking on the Sidewalks of New York

My last mileage post was March 31. I'd had a terrific month of walking  -- recalculated today at 96.1 miles -- and was optimistic that even if I couldn't walk 90+ miles in the months to come I could make progress on my goal of walking 1000 miles in 2020. 

I did make progress in April, but I only walked 55.3 miles, sadly not even an average of two miles a day. I can plead chilly and rainy weather and that's true, but it was much more the circumstances of our times. I didn't feel confident being outside and risking being too close to other people. There were a few days where the farthest I got was around my block. I walked at least a mile every day, but that didn't bring me close to my goal of 2.8 miles/day. 

I realized last week that I needed to get outside more, both for my mental well-being and for exercise. It might only encompass sitting by myself on a bench at the park a block from my house, or it might mean walking the almost one mile to Central Park. It doesn't make up for being alone, but sunny days and seeing people outside -- while being socially distant and wearing a mask -- cheered me up a lot. I wasn't happy the first few days I wore a mask. I got hot, my glasses fogged and my hair got in my eyes. But I very quickly realized that a mask kept me from touching my  nose and mouth and that made me feel better about going outside. I now wear a mask, carry gloves -- some of the stores require it -- and always have hand sanitizer with me. 

Some of my friends have not left their houses since we began to shut down in New York City in mid-March. Others are essential workers and are out regularly and others -- like me -- feel comfortable from time to time in small groceries or the drugstore and skip larger stores. Every store -- including Trader Joe's and other big grocery stores -- has limits on the number of people who can enter at any one time, and there is store personnel enforcing the limits. I've found people courteous, keep a social distance and are aware of those around them. What I haven't done since March 13 is take the bus or subway or use a taxi, so my world has become very local. 

Nessie and Pep hope you had fun on Cinco de Mayo

Nessie and Pep thank everyone for their good wishes. Initially we thought it would be a very small wedding, but so many people, monkeys and bears have asked to be part of the wedding celebration, it's made us go back to planning to make sure to include friends and family around the world. Of course our Buttercupland family will be part of all of the festivities.

I've got a surprise for tomorrow. I won't give any hints, except to say it's a big week in Buttercupland, and no, I'm not getting engaged. 

As ever, thanks for visiting and take care. Much love and wash your hands!  

9 comments

Ginny Hartzler said...

I can't wait till your surprise! It's something we all need nowadays, when there are very few surprises that are good. you are doing so good at walking every day! You are dedicated for sure. I imagine New York streets to be bustling, even now! But I imagine they are not.

Dorothy In PA said...

I am glad that you are able to get out and about. I have friends in Brooklyn so I keep up with what is going on there.

I am glad that wedding plans are progressing. I am not sure which side I am on, as I have not met either of the soon to be betrothed. I guess I will be the mysterious visiting auntie whom no one can quite remember (laugh).

I am so looking forward to a surprise tomorrow!

Kerin said...

Good for you!
Walking goals are difficult to achieve with the weather still kicking up, but I strive for progress, not perfection, and allow myself grace on those days when the weather is wet and cold :)

Have a happy rest of your week.

~K.

Chatty Crone said...

You know I guess everyone has to decide what and how they are going to deal with Covid 19. I am glad you are walking. Looking forward to the surprise tomorrow.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

All things considered I think you've done a great job on your journey to 1000 miles. You certainly get more steps in than I do. I do get out for occasional walks around the neighborhood, but not nearly enough. the cold wet spring we've had doesn't help at all, but on the good days I make an effort to get out there and take advantage of them. Truth be told a lot of my steps before this virus hit were walking around the grocery store. I haven't been in on for months. My children do my shopping and deliver it too, so the only exercise I've had is my walks around the block. I can't imagine being in the house for the duration. It's good to get out and enjoy the sunshine and fresh air. Now you've got all our curiscity going on wha you surprise might. I'm make sure to be on the look out for your next post.

Mevely317 said...

Well, unusual times call for improvisation … and it sounds like you've a good handle on that. I hadn't even thought about the risks of public transportation. Nope; wouldn't go there either.
Can't wait to see what you've got up your sleeve tomorrow!

LC said...

Your determination to make 1,000 miles is encouraging. I had been logging nearly two miles most days until all the craziness started. Shortly after the shutdowns, my physician changed a cholesterol medicine. Reduced energy and occasional weakness in my legs had me down around one mile or below. Yesterday was 1.7, the highest since the loss of energy started. Thanks for posting about your experiences keeping active and healthy in your city environment.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Good to read that you have been aboe to get out. BC. Even though times may be unsettling it is still good to be outdoors and to try to forget, however, briefly, how sad the world has become of late. I forgo the mask when outdoors and alone but do don it when going to a store, which thankfully is less than before as they tend to get uncomfortable after awhile. Congrats to the happy couple.

Laurel Wood said...

I have walked more than usual since we've been staying close to home. There is a church with a large, level parking lot across the street and I go round and round there! I have only ventured into the grocery store and I've had one hospital lab visit and one dr. visit - both where I wore mask and gloves. The masks are so hot and I can barely see due to my glasses fogging!