Powered by Blogger.

Happy Birthday, New York Public Library

Happy 125th, New York Public Library (NYPL)

Buttercupland is delighted to join in the birthday celebration for one of the great institutions of the world, The New York Public Library. You may be doing research at one of the four research centers or borrowing books, movies or going to story hours at the 88 branch libraries throughout Manhattan, Bronx and Staten Island. You may be one of the seventeen million patrons of the library, or you're a frequent visitor to the on-line catalog to borrow e-books. For all of us, it's difficult to imagine New York City without the landmark building at 42nd Street, pictured above, or the wonderful branch library system.

It's hard to imagine New York without a library system, but the NYPL is a relatively recent addition to the city. It was formed in 1895 by a merger of two existing research libraries. The building we in New York refer to as "The Library," the main branch was completed in 1911. President William Howard Taft presided over the dedication ceremonies.

The branch libraries were created thanks to a 5.2 million dollar donation from Andrew Carnegie. The Carnegie funds would pay for the buildings and the city would be responsible for the operating cost of the libraries. Our 88 libraries were a small part of the 2,509 Carnegie libraries that were built throughout the world. One of the legacies of the Carnegie donations is the "open stack" system in most libraries. One of my great pleasures at the library is browsing the stacks. The open-stack system was introduced to reduce costs, but it also provided the joys of independent choice.

  My branch library, St. Agnes branch began as a parish library for St. Agnes Chapel on
 West 91st St in 1893. It was expanded to a neighborhood library in 1894. In 1906 it moved to its present location on Amsterdam Avenue. 

Yes, we are a Carnegie Library!

A copy of Andrew Carnegie's letter to the New York Public Library, 1901

I hope you've enjoyed our library birthday celebration. I always enjoy library visits and I know I learned a lot from this one. I've worked in three libraries -- the Hartford Public Library, and the libraries at Mount Holyoke and Dartmouth  -- and this is the first time I knew about the introduction of open stacks. Always something new to learn!

Now I'm going to spend the rest of the evening enjoying my latest library book, "Takes One to Know One," by Susan Isaacs. I'll be back tomorrow with an update on No-Spending January. 

As ever, thanks for visiting and please keep cozy! It's chilly out there.  

9 comments

Deb J. in Utah said...

This was such an interesting post. I love libraries and always frequent the ones near our home - wherever that is. I have seen the main New York Library but we were on a tight schedule and couldn't go in, but my favorite library was the Library of Congress in D.C. and my favorite part of that was Thomas Jefferson's books. Thanks for this post. See you again soon!

Ginny Hartzler said...

The library is beautiful! I never heard of open and closed stacks, and had to Google it. So I learned something today!

Beranese said...

Loved this post! When I first saw the library on 42nd I thought it was a court house.
We lived opposite a library �� and I sure appreciate that!

Chatty Crone said...

I don't go to the library much anymore - but I can't imagine the world without then - I worry about the future of books with all the electronics. Even Andy in college - no books - all electronics. Happy birthday library. sandie

Theresa said...

Happy 125th Birthday to this beautiful Library! I love going to the library and just might make a visit to our MUCH SMALLER one this week. Have a blessed day dear friend, HUGS!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I would think a library book would be a part of your no spending. They don't cost a cent and gives hours of pleasure. I haven't read a Susan Issac's book in a long while so thanks for the suggestion, I used to read her novels all the time. The more I read about Carnegie the more impressed I am he had a lot of money and donated a lot of it for good causes too. I good example for those with money for sure.

Sue said...

Yay!! for our public libraries, congratulations to New Yorks Public Library's 125 anniversary! great information you have shared.
Enjoy your book.
Sue

Pam said...

Interesting post! I love libraries and would like to visit this one. Will have to check out Isaacs' book! Thanks for sharing!

TARYTERRE said...

there is nothing in the world more wonderful than a library. all those books to feed the imagination and impart knowledge. i fear many of our young people today don't appreciate them the way we do. a lovely post, indeed.