Powered by Blogger.

The Lady and the Highwayman


If you've ever fantasized about living two different lives in the same lifetime, step right up and read The Lady and the Highwayman, by Sarah M. Eden. Please meet Miss Elizabeth Black. By day Miss Black is the proper headmistress of a girls' school and the writer of "silver-fork" novels. The silver-fork novels were written by and for upper-class Victorian ladies. However Elizabeth Black's "other life" is that of Mr. King and a writer of "Penny Dreadfuls," filled with super-heroes and adventure and whose audience is working class men. Mr. King aka Miss Black is quite successful in this genre, and has found a perfect way to liven up her very conventional life.

All's well until Fletcher Walker asks Miss Black for her assistance finding the elusive Mr. King. Mr. King's success threatens Walker's income and status as the most successful author of Penny Dreadfuls in the 1830s. Miss King agrees, in the interest of keeping her secret. Adventure and yes, romance follow.

This was a fun and very enjoyable read. It gave a fresh background and characters for a Victorian historical romance. Elizabeth Black/Mr. King was an engaging and interesting character and it truly answered the question of living two lives in one lifetime. 

Life in New York has turned to autumn -- yay finally -- and it felt great to wear a jacket today. I've got no regrets about saying good-bye the shorts and t-shirts. Summer definitely overstayed its welcome.

Rosh Hashanah was lovely. The two days of services were moving and the holiday meals were delicious and festive. My friend Ilene cooked an amazing chicken dish and I'm hoping the recipe is forthcoming. I promise to share it with you.

As ever, thanks for visiting and wishes for a great week!

 Please note: I was given a copy of the Lady and the Highwayman by Shadow Mountain Publishing for review, but the opinions are all mine. 

6 comments

Ginny Hartzler said...

What a unique and interesting book. I am glad you had a lovey Ross Hashanah.

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

I am glad your holidays were good, Carol, and that you had a good book to read and enjoy.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Victorain and historical books are some of my favorites. I'll have to check this one out. Sounds like it is right up my alley.

Chatty Crone said...

I am glad you had a nice holiday there.
Sounds like an interesting book.
Love, sandie

Laurel Wood said...

Sounds like a good holiday and I look forward to the chicken recipe. Thanks for the book review also. I know you are enjoying the touch of fall in the air. Have a lovely evening. xo

Theresa said...

Sounds like a great book! Enjoy your beautiful FALL day dear friend, HUGS!