Powered by Blogger.

Now I'm Sixty-Four, Plus Five


 I spent part of my 69th birthday at one of my favorite places, the West Side Y.
 
My 69th birthday has come and gone. As birthdays go, it was a quiet one, with a small celebration -- eating wings! -- in the evening. I had two celebrations before, a weekend of fun and two celebrations are yet to come. I thought about how I wanted to spend the day and realized I wanted to go to my water aerobics class at the Y.  
 
Though I haven't become a "gym rat" and likely, never will, I do enjoy my exercise time. I took up water aerobics, which is technically "Aqua aerobics for active older adults with arthritis," a few months ago and love it. I love being in the pool and exercising to music. I've still got "Take Good Care of My Baby" on the playlist of my mind from my class on Monday. It's a lively and very friendly group and I enjoy seeing my water buddies every Monday. One of my Y friends who is a regular at the morning class celebrated her birthday at the Y with her water aerobics buddies. She is turning 70 in a few days and has inspired me for possible celebrations for next year. 
 
At sixty-four plus five I'm more committed to good health and healthy habits than I was at 64. Every year seems to bring a new health awareness and I want to keep up the most active life possible. I know how quickly good health can slip away and am grateful for the opportunity to exercise and eat healthy. I like my treats, but the wings I enjoyed on my birthday are just that, a treat, and not a daily or even monthly occurrence. 
 
Here's a cheer for another birthday! So grateful for another year of adventures, great and small, good times and I pray, the blessing of health and peace for family and friends. 
 
On a different birthday note, I received my new driver's license today. If there is an award for the worst photograph taken at Department of Motor Vehicles in 2019, I know I will be in contention. My previous picture was pretty good, maybe even good for a license picture. This one will scare small children. It looks like I've just come face to face with an axe murderer in a movie I would never see. It was about ninety degrees at DMV and any makeup I started with has vanished and my hair is sticking to my head. I'd think about going back for a new picture, but the cost and the time deter me. The picture really is that bad.
 
As ever, thanks for visiting and Louisiana and Gulf friends, stay safe!

9 comments

Paula said...

I made them retake my last license picture because it was so awful. Happy Belated birthday. I turned 68 in April.

Ginny Hartzler said...

Happy Birthday!! I used to do water exercises. It is so good for you, and easy on your joints and bones.. I remember it made me feel so good, and weightless. Coming out of the water, it felt like the weight of the world was back on my shoulders. I am 70 now.

Laurel Wood said...

Happy Birthday to you! I've never tried water aerobics but I'm so happy you enjoy the class and being with your friends. Always good to treat yourself to a special favorite food on a birthday or holiday, too. Wishes for a delightful weekend to you! xoxo

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

Happy 64+5 Birthday, Carol. Staying healthy and vertical is also high on my list. With the heat, I tend to give myself excuses not to exercise and I have to sometimes push myself.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Happy Birthday! Sounds like a great celebration for you! And like it's not over yet. Birthdays are worth celebrating as long as you can. You'll never be as young as you are now!

Theresa said...

Happy Birthday a little late! You are awesome to keep exercising, I need to follow your lead! Have a blessed and beautiful day dear friend, HUGS!

Chatty Crone said...

HAPPY 64+$ BIRTHDAY! That last paragraph was a hoot. I know just what you mean. I am glad you are exercising - I love water aerobics. It is also nice to spread your birthday over days or weeks! You deserve a great birthday!

Mevely317 said...

What a darling way of putting it … 64+5!
Your attitude towards exercise isn't just enviable, but what I hope to be. Who knows, this week I've felt too sick to walk and darn if I'm not missing it!
I had a DL picture like that once. Finally, I figured it might just serve as comic relief for somebody having a bad day.

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

So glad you had a wonderful birthday, Carol!

At our dmv, they show us a preview of the photo and we get to do it over if we don’t like it!